No announcement yet.

Building a gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some pictures posted in the for sale forum and the performance forum of the whole bike if that's what you mean. I also have a lot of really high res pictures (3MB) that I can't post until I reduce the quality/size. Thanks, the job was pretty cool, and at one point my friend and I imploded the tank in the vacuum bag b/c stupidly I forgot to cut a vent into the inside of tank to allow atmospheric pressure in. It was pretty funny, then I blew it back up with compressed air and cleaned up the body work again, then re-covered it. It ended up with two layers in the end, so now its pretty indestructible with two layers of carbon over steel. It only looks light weight. My co-workers and friends got a lot of laughs out of the implosion incident since I'm an ME.

-Zack

Comment

That thing is really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

As mentioned, glass tanks can be dangerous in accidents and in most jurisdictions are illegal for street use.
        What Spyug said-I remember a nasty accident that happened many years ago when a rider on a Norton fitted with a fiberglass tank T-boned a car at an intersection. The tank ruptured and a fire started. That one was fatal and if memory serves there were severe burns to the car occupant(s)? as well.

I looked all through Google and could find nothing on its legality in Ontario, Canada however. Maybe they're legal...?

Comment

Working...
        X