Frame modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame modifications

has anyone modified their frame? if so what year, model and any pics?

This --------------><---------------------- close to choping the rear off the end and making a cafe. My brother talked me out of it. I would like to some day build a hardtail and put either a Yammie 650 or Suzuki equivalent in there.... Interested in modding your frame? I know a few people have braced their frame and ALOT of people have chopped off the rear end to make a cafe or atleast something that looks like it.... I think the only upcoming mods I'm going to make to my frame is to cut off unnecessary metal and to clean up the welds because DAYYYUM (stole that from TCK) if Suzuki didn't lay down some ugly welds on these frames

Comment

how much of the rear frame can you cut off without welding

Comment

that's what I've cut off of mine.

Comment

did you do any welding? is it strong without welding with that much cut off?

Comment

Here's some pics of mine (toward the bottom of the page)

there's a bit more cut off on mine than hotbox's, and ive had absolutly no problems with it, and i weigh 260 pounds. I doubt you'll have any prob whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by NelanCustoms View Post
              Bracing the frame after cutting off that large chunk is something I was worrying about which is why I kinda strayed away from chopping the rear. You do lose a crossmember. But TCK did chop all the way up to the upper shock bolts and he's had no problems. Unless you're weighing in at 300 lbs then I think you're good if you're gonna go about doing it...... Although I would cap the ends to keep moisture and critters out

Comment

Yeah tho i do plan on having another flat crossmember welded in. More for support of the seat pan i am going to use than anything...my arse doesnt even come clost to the rear where i have it cut, and the shocks should disperse force equally rather than exactly in that spot anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NelanCustoms View Post
                  no welding and I'd gather to guess it'd support two up if I want it to.

Comment

you had no problems after cutting that much of the frame off cafe kid? did you weld?

Comment

Nope...not a lick. Thats stock frame minus some. And its held up with my big ass on it. Keep in mind that there will never be a second ass on my bike however...which is fine...my girls can ride their own damn bike. :-D

Comment

cafekid can i see a pic of what the cut looks like from the rear

Comment

Yeah gimmie a few..i think i have one on here somewhere...im at work so ill have to sort thru my photobucket accnt. Hold please...

Comment

hrmm this is the best i have at the moment...ill take a good shot for you tomorrow while im workin on her and post it up for ya...this is when i still had the shortie shocks on it...

Comment

i want those shocks? i have a 79 GS850. will they fit or know of any? what model are they?

Comment

Working...
                              X