Cafe seat from a gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe seat from a gas tank

Hey everyone, a lot of people on this forum make cafe seats. I saw this on another forum and I thought I'd pass it along. It's a pretty cool idea if you ask me. Maybe it's already been talked about here, but I don't recall it. Basically the guy cut the back half off of a gas tank and used that for the hump on his seat. He attached it to a steel seat pan. Just one more idea to throw in to the pool. Sorry if this is nothing new here. It's new to me and I thought it was a pretty novel approach.

Yeah Noel has a good design there...i just cant stomach ruining a tank for the sake of a seat that you can purchase or make from fibreglass. Its a good idea nonetheless.

Comment

I know what you mean. Actually one thing that I thought of was to make a mold of a gas tank and use that. It would accomplish a couple of things. First, you don't have to destroy a tank and it would be much lighter. It got me thinking that ther may be a lot of good designs for tailpieces that have been in front of me (literally) the whole time. The back end of an existing GStank might be a good element to carry through to the end of the bike. It might be too much but it's worth considering.

Comment

Could you rig it to be able to get a couple gallons of fuel in there?

Mike

Comment

I dont think he welded it together, but if you did i bet that would work...tho i dont imagine id like the idea of *sitting* on a couple gallons of gas, which in turn is sitting OVER the tail pipes...lol Not a bad idea if you could ensure that it wouldnt ever leak.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            I dont think he welded it together, but if you did i bet that would work...tho i dont imagine id like the idea of *sitting* on a couple gallons of gas, which in turn is sitting OVER the tail pipes...lol Not a bad idea if you could ensure that it wouldnt ever leak.
            Well .. there are 5 gallons between my legs .. over even hotter head pipes ..

Comment

True..but that tank was made by the factory (tho a good welder could do just as well) ...and you can SEE if that one were to start leaking and burning...behind ya?? You might catch it in the mirrors...you might catch it in the rear too..hehehe

Comment

Agreed .. of course I meant (if not implied) that it would be done correctly by a qualified welder / fabricator. Just one more use for that space, and a few more miles between fuel stops

Mike

Comment

The one he made DID have a little storage compartment tho...neat lil addition. Id hate to waste a good tank, but if you could use it for a mould or had one that the front was completely destroyed on it its a cool idea!

Comment

Eh, it's not that big of a deal. The newer Buell's run gas and oil through the frame and swingarm!

Comment

Again...designed and built in a factory...I sure as hell wouldnt trust MYSELF to weld up something like that...and i dont have the money to pay someone to do it...im not saying it isnt a neat idea...just to me its like sitting on a bomb...

Comment

Again...designed and built in a factory...I sure as hell wouldnt trust MYSELF to weld up something like that...and i dont have the money to pay someone to do it...im not saying it isnt a neat idea...just to me its like sitting on a bomb...
                        Welding schmelding......you any good with JB Weld? \\/

Comment

ehhh ...huh huh..uhhhh ....taco??

Comment

seat

i just read both threads, and that is a really good idea, i have some old tanks layin around that i wasn't gonna use for anything else anyway. better than trashin em.

Comment

whats up rigid?? LTNS...like i said i think its a neat idea if your tank is trashed otherwise...but you could actually turn around and prolly sell those tanks on fleabay or to the guys over on the DoTheTon forum and make some bucks off of em...they are geeks for SOHC honda stuff over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X