No announcement yet.

Epoxy as finish coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had extensive time in boat restoration, both wood and fiberglass.

My two cents:

Regardless of what epoxy you use you will find these things
    1. Epoxy is very suceptable to heat. If you want to soften/remove epoxy you heat it.

2. Epoxy will yellow with exposure to UV (sunlight). No epoxy manufacturer that I am aware of adds a UV protection package to the two part mix. I have worked for hours and hours laminating teak and ash for a sailboat tiller handle and coating it with epoxy (3 plus coats) and having it yellow after six months due to the degradation. You have to coat the epoxy with a clear coat that has a UV package of some kind to get it to stay. I use varnish on the wood to keep this from happening.

One thing you might try--Bristol Finish. They make a two part clear coat for marine applications that you can brush on. It is about $60.00 per quart and I'v tried it. It dries very hard and extremely glossy. The fumes will knock you out though. I tried to use it inside in the basement and it about drove me out.

Bottom line on the epoxy, save the time and effort you will end up diappointed.

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Comment

That is some very good information.

I never thought about exposure to light. Thanks.

I am leaning towards not doing it, after a lot of the things I heard. Which is why I started this thread.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
      X