No announcement yet.

What would you call this style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I've got a gs850 I'm turning into a hardtail chooper/bobber. I've got a dog that is part pit bull and part hound. I've got a belt I wear several times a week that sez I'm a 4th degree black belt. When I'm done, I'll send pix and any of you can come on down and deal with me or my dog. BTW, my 19 yo son is also a 4th degree, and has taught the dog what I can only refer to as "doggie jiu jitsu". Bring it or shut it!

Comment

most definitely probably not the last word

Here's how I see it. More people on this forum spend more time nit-picking whatever someone else has for sale or is riding than they do working on or riding their own bike. This one doesn't have stock turnsignals, I wouldn't do that, you shoulda done this.....

What it comes down to is, ride what you like. If you don't like someone else's bike or taste, that's OK because you didn't send your money or time on it, THEY DID!

They will be happy with what they built and you can rejoice in your narrow-mindedness. Now everyone is happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenzuki View Post
        Here's how I see it. More people on this forum spend more time nit-picking whatever someone else has for sale or is riding than they do working on or riding their own bike. This one doesn't have stock turnsignals, I wouldn't do that, you shoulda done this.....

What it comes down to is, ride what you like. If you don't like someone else's bike or taste, that's OK because you didn't send your money or time on it, THEY DID!

They will be happy with what they built and you can rejoice in your narrow-mindedness. Now everyone is happy!
        Definitely not the last word but spot on & saved me a load of typing\\/:-D

Comment

Frankinsuzki i got to agree with you.

And as few as how to define a style of bike heres how I think about it.

Some of the first customs were bobbers and the style was more of cuttting everything off that didn't make it go, steer or stop.

This then spit in to two different category's choppers and cafes

choppers were the guys that were more concerned about how the bike looked and didn't care as much about how it ran.

cafe were the guys that were all about speed and were trying to go as fast as possible. There cared about how it performed and less on how it looks.

This might not be right or even close to right just how I see it.

Comment

Anybody that is riding a bike is fine by me

but of course, there is an exception, people ride H8nda's

I used to be anal about all this stuff as well, until I was mocking someones bike that had a purple frame and a dayglo green engine (and it was a H8nda)
            After I had indulged my sneer for a bit, my wife turned round to me and looked at me like I was a stranger , and said, 'that is somebody's pride and joy'

I've never had the same attitude since, and I hope I never do.

If you like restoring to absolutely immaculate, showroom new, great, go for it.
            If you like running it and never washing it, great.
            If you wanna take an angle grinder to it, great.

Now, where's my angle grinder

Comment

As they say, "free advice is worth the price". Whoever "they" are. The other question is, why do we have to categorize everything? It's a f-ing motorcycle, When you're done working on it and you take it to DMV, your title will not say bobber, chopper, crap-heap. It will say mototrcyle. Just go for a ride and don't worry so much about what others think.

Comment

i gotta agree with fat sac about the gray bike being out of proportion. maybe a smaller tank? but its that guys bike. let him build it. maybe after awhile they will come around to understanding balance and lines. i have an artistic background so looks are important to me as well as proper function. and fat sac its time to come unglued i'm one of them. i have a saws-all and have no fears or reservations about using it.

Comment

I'd call it ugly. Bobber can look very cool, but for Bobber to work you need fairly wide low bars (IMHO). The bobber/cafe X thing rarely works.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenzuki View Post

Couldn't agree more! And besides that, there's absolutely no reason to argue about style or taste.
                    You know what they say: "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded"

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                      BTW, my 19 yo son is also a 4th degree, ......
                      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

hack away guys. does it run? do you ride it? then cut it up if you see fit. its 2 wheels. arguments over aesthetics rarely resolve. if i could have a few different bikes, one would FO SHO be a "bobber". nothing but engine and wheels. but, hey, whatever.

btw, my bike is now officially running like a cheetah after a thompsons gazelle. or like a raped meerkat. or.....insert colorful analogy here.....
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

The biggest problem I see with the lines on most of these bikes stems from modding it and using the original, ugly, humongous gas tank. A tank needs to be sensuously curvy. Suzuki squared theirs off. When i did my sons, I only reinstalled his original when I realized too late in the game that the beautiful one I scored on ebay was too narrow to install without relocating the coils. I'll be doing that this summer. The big tank goes with the big seat and the hideous rear plastic/metal rear fender fiasco.Don't get me wrong. When I joined this forum, it was after I fell intio the deal for my bike, and a year after my son fell into the better deal with his 450. I've come to really appreciate the knowledge, sense of community, and willingness to help of most on this forum. But the lines of the original tank only work with a big butt seat and an ugly fender.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            she would just either lick you to death, or roll over and pee all over herself...lol
                            I've had girlfriends like that. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                              I've had girlfriends like that. LOL
                              hilarious.
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

looks like someone stole it off the hollywod set from road warrior.

Comment

Working...
                                X