No announcement yet.

1979 GS1000S Input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had thought from looking at the first picture that the seat was the same as the one fitted to KGB's bike but in the second its clearly not :-( but it is a sweet bike that appears to need very little. Keep it the way it is, sort the small problems out, ride & enjoy :-)

Mark...

Comment

I've already put in my 2 cents worth,so you know what I think.The fact is it's your ride,so do as you will.It's a very cool looking bike as it is.Ride and enjoy.Everywhere you stop you're going to get lots of attention and opinions so get ready for that.You might need to upgrade your GRINNER as well.I didn't,now I think it's broken.Haven't been able to remove the smile for a long time now.Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Same thoughts myself, though my 'new' S is nowhere near as nice as yours. I'm stripping everything down - last nut and bolt job for ground up build. (I'm afraid i can't live with a bike that's not immaculate). Just about everything I've touched so far needs replacing / major work.

After a fair amount of research and costing up of options I've plumped for going mildly modified. Plans are:

Katana alu swingarm (already bought one).
        Nice 4-1 (Probably a Marving to match the one on my CB1100F, once I've robbed the bank).
        Shorter front mudguard (RG500 style probably).
        Konis / Ikons (same thing).
        Drilled discs (already found and fitted GSX750ES discs and calipers).
        Giuliari or 2:4 seat.
        I may change the carbs for something a bit 'juicier', though may stay stock.

I can't decide on whether to repaint to original scheme or not - I may go for a Cooley style.

And I need to sort out the mirrors - I found some NOS ones but all I can see behind is my elbows!

By my costings, these mods will be far cheaper and easier than trying to go concours stock. And your bike looks pretty smart to me - in my eyes worth every penny the same as a totally original one.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I myself like the restored style, however, your bike is quite a looker & with all that has been done to it, I would keep it as is, if you like it. To me, it would be a waste to sell it however that is just my opinion. Good luck to you & hope you are happy with your decision, as that is what is most important to me.

Comment

If it was mine I would restore it, I bought one last year out of Seattle and it is ALL original and every where I go with it, it attracts a crowd. They are getting very rare. But on the flip side yours is nice, parts that make it an "S" are hard to get though.:-D

Comment

I am in a similar position to you I have an early bulid Katana 1100, it is very heavily "modded" so much so most Katana owners cant pick them all!!
              BUT and to me this is a very important BUT it is all "Period" as in almost every thing that is done to it was done between 1985 and 1990 so it is modded as they were done in the "period" so mine is staying "as is" or any changes are done with the period in mind.

Dink

Comment

Curt,
                I will be in Seattle in July.. I have now made plans to return with this rolling mess of parts. Thank you in advance for giving this old piece of dirt to me. It will be right at home here.

Kind Regards,

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                X