tank swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank swap

I have been thinking for a while about swapping my tank for one that's chrome with the black spots for your knees, like on a mid sixties bike such as a tc250. Does anyone know how universal suzuki tanks of the era are? I have a 78 550c, which is certainly similar to the 60's classics in spirit.

check the picture for an idea of what I'm talking about...

Um, you realize that those black spots are actual "rubber" pads that attach to the tank, right?

You would need a tank that's real skinny at the rear. I don't think any of the GS tanks qualify. BTW, most GS tanks with the single rear bolt would fit your bike, but most are larger.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I was pretty cranked on coffee when I came up with the idea... Switching out the black rear fender for a chrome one, getting a tank with chrome sides, black side covers, maybe going to a solo seat of some sort.... mid sixties cafe with more reliabilty....

after today's pot of coffee, I dreamt up more of a rat rod look, semi flat black paint, maybe some ivory pinstriping, still switching out for a chrome rear fender, so.. well I am known for my wishywashyness.

Comment

Actually, if that tank is anything like the Honda bikes, those chrome sides come off of it. Wouldnt be too difficult to emulate that look tho, with some fiberglass.

Comment

they do make chrome paint

Comment

Working...
          X