Refurbishing case covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
    Well, what about my old Mikuni carbs? Lots of nooks and crannies in there. I got a brushed alum finish on the tops (not too much work) but now the carb bodies match. And should they be sealed/clear coated after? I know I don't want to bead blast them!
    Oops, sort of wrong topic for this thread.
    I just dipped the bodies leaving them natural, and polished the tops and bottoms.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      I just dipped the bodies leaving them natural, and polished the tops and bottoms.

Renobruce,
      Did you polish the Tops & Bowls by hand sanding or use some other tool to make quick work of it ??? I only did the visible portions on 1 & 4 by hand and had to use a jeweler file first to remove the rough casting marks, then sand then polish etc. Fairly time consuming.
      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
        Renobruce,
        Did you polish the Tops & Bowls by hand sanding or use some other tool to make quick work of it ??? I only did the visible portions on 1 & 4 by hand and had to use a jeweler file first to remove the rough casting marks, then sand then polish etc. Fairly time consuming.
        I sanded them by hand, then polished them with a buff in a hand drill, and a lot by hand. A bit of work, but worth it, I think. I like shiny stuff!

Just started working on this. It's a biatch. Lots of sanding.

Last edited by renobruce; 04-06-2008, 11:56 PM.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

yeah, the tops and bottoms are pretty easy, especially if you have a bench wheel. If you want the bodies done it'll probably run you $80 if you send em' to "street & performance' here in mena, arkansas. they are AMAZING.

Comment

Working...
          X