Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want new handlebars.

Hello Guys,

I need your incite and expertise in a little problem i have. Ok so i picked up a 82 Gs850 love it. I like the look of the body and frame love that it doesn't have a chain. but one thing i don't like is the ape handle bars. I'm not a fan of sitting straight up. I like to be leaning forward, (i know you don't want to hear this but) a more street bike feel. don't get me wrong i love the bike i just want to lean forward more. so what I'm looking for is like a straight bar. I've seen a ok view of the Euro bar from bike bandit. (thanks to Billyboy) I've seen one i might like that it goes out to the side the rolls toward the front tire as to have a negative lift and goes out from there. (does anyone know what I'm talking about). any other ideas. do they make just a cheap straight bar? pictures of the handlebars would be great. on the bike even better. Or even any other new ideas you have would be awesome. give me your help.

Shane

Superbike bars are the way to go. They're not exactly straight. The ends are angled just ever so slightly. I love mine. They really improve the look of the bike IMO. Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about

Driver's view

View from front

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
      Superbike bars are the way to go. They're not exactly straight. The ends are angled just ever so slightly. I love mine. They really improve the look of the bike IMO. Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about

Driver's view

View from front
      Not to hijack the thread but is that the stock chrome front fender just painted?

Comment

Yeah, I scuffed the absolute hell out of it with 50 grit before hand. Left no shiney for the paint to peel off of.

Sorry for the hijack reply

Comment

Going from stock L bars to Superbike bars will be fairly dramatic and get you leaned over the tank especially if you have short arms. You may also run into cable issues. I bet someone here has some stock E bars that changed to superbike or drag bars they would be willing to part with. Ive had superbike bars for over 20 years and would like a little more rise like a 1250 Bandit.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I'm 6 foot 1 inch so my arms are not short at all. what are e-bars? ive riding street bike before and just got my 82 gs850 haven't ridin it much so would like to change over before i get use to it. but not the like get use to it though.

Shane

Comment

saw these type of clubman bars what do you guys think

would this be too leaned over

Comment

I have "Daytona" bars, which are a little higher than the "superbike" bars. I am 6'1" (185cm) tall. These are VERY comfy -- they put me at just the right angle on the highway.

From the side:

In action:
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

CRC2 sells a nice selection of handlebars cheap:

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Daytona's here, PO put them on and shortened them an inch on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by SDK View Post
                      saw these type of clubman bars what do you guys think

would this be too leaned over
                      I think those are upside down clubman bars.
                      I have a set on my cafed BSA and they don't look like that.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post

Those bars look more like Superbike than Dayton's, which are higher.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post

Beautiful bike!

Try this, sit on the bike on the centerstand with a stick or something in each hand, assume the position you think you want to ride in and measure the height, width and angles, you should be able to get bars that are close.
                          I like bars from a smaller GS, for instance GS450 bars on a 750, perhaps GS 550 or 750 bars on a 1000. They will give a little more forward leaning position. Might cut an inch off either end too depending on the planned use of the bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Superbike bars for me thank you. :-D

I'm a bit shorter than most at (5 7"). So I can see how a taller person might want the Daytona bend. They had too much rise, and way too much pull back to suit me, so I swapped 'em out for the Superbike bend. It really is a personal choice. The fact that I'm running rearsets might also have affected that choice. Handling was my major consideration. So it was really about getting more weight over the front wheel. The rearsets and the bars actually make it steer a bit heavier at low speeds. Much better than stock.
                            Bike bandit sells 'em cheap. Get both and see which you like better.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Superbike bars for me too.. $20 bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X