My GS 850 GL Cruser Project Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
    Yer bikes comin along! What did you decide about the frame mod and the seat? Here's some pix of my son's suddenly resurrected 450.
    I have no idea why your post didnt show up :P But I got the email saying this post lol.

The bike looks good

As for me i have sunk so much time into just cleaning up the bike and modding the front end I dont think i am going to get to the back this season. We shall see as I would really like to chop it down and do the bobtail. I did just get two yami 650's to playwith though lol.

Comment

OK, more pictures

Comment

Mort!
        I got one in exactly the same condition! I am preparing to paint up the engine. Tell me, how do you manage the silver fins on the engine? Is that the original color scheme? Did you shoot each piece seperately or put the whole engine together an tape?
        Keep the pics coming...

Comment

Originally posted by cranemonkey View Post
          Mort!
          I got one in exactly the same condition! I am preparing to paint up the engine. Tell me, how do you manage the silver fins on the engine? Is that the original color scheme? Did you shoot each piece seperately or put the whole engine together an tape?
          Keep the pics coming...
          I painted the engine in the frame all together. I pulled the valve cover off after it was painted and then put in a new gasket. Same with the pressure switch, oil filter cover, cam tensioner, etc. I taped anything I didnt want painted.

As for the fins I just sanded them down after painting the black then clear coated.

The bike is an 83 so I do think the engine was originaly painted (well powder coated). I have done some more work and will post more pics tomorrow night

Comment

update 3, hoping like all hell to wrap this up b the end of the weekend!!!!

Comment

Hey, I love the seat, fender and bars! Where did you find those? Thanks, Ken

Comment

looks like its coming together nicely

keep us updated

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                  Hey, I love the seat, fender and bars! Where did you find those? Thanks, Ken

The bars I got on eBay, the seat and fender I found on eBay but I had to skip them for now due to time and money. In fact i am unfortunatly going to have to skip a lot of things I wanted to do so I can get the bike done today/tomorrow.

With gas getting so out of hand I really need the ride more than i need the "toy". So I will post some pics later today tomorrow when its "done" and make my laundry list of things to pick at over the summer

Comment

Well she's all back together and running much better but now a little lean. I guess sealing up those rust holes in the airbox and the sides is going to require some retuning of the carbs

So I need to grab a color tune next week when I get paid

I didnt get to do all the things I wanted, but she looks decent and runs. I will post pics tonight.

Things I will pick at over the summer:

Recover seat (Possibly have it retooled and covered w/ leather for $200)
                    Replace exhaust
                    paint tank & Side panels (May just buy a spare set and have them professionally done)
                    New valve cover caps
                    Strip & polish wheels & calipers
                    New SS Brake Lines

Think thats it lol.

Comment

Hey dude....just found the link to this thread in your signature. When you mentioned that you'd stripped everything and mounted the speedo (same one) where the original ignition switch was, for some reason I thought you meant the original speedo and was trying to figure how you did it.

In checking this thread, I see you meant the same speedo I'm planning to purchase. How do you like it so far now that you have the bike back together and running?

Project looks really cool! Hope to see some updated pics, soon.

Comment

PICS! I am picking up another GS and want to go this route with it since the last one was a cafe. I like the fender and seat can't wait to see it! Good work man

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
                          Hey dude....just found the link to this thread in your signature. When you mentioned that you'd stripped everything and mounted the speedo (same one) where the original ignition switch was, for some reason I thought you meant the original speedo and was trying to figure how you did it.

In checking this thread, I see you meant the same speedo I'm planning to purchase. How do you like it so far now that you have the bike back together and running?

Project looks really cool! Hope to see some updated pics, soon.
                          Speedo works really good. The way i had it wasnt going to work because the headlight bowl cause a major bend in the speedo cable. So I drilled a hole in the bowl and ran the cable through the bowl minimizing the bending. Works good so far with no issues.

I only have three complaints so far with the speedo.

1) I could not get the oil pressure light wired up. Dunno why. I followed the wiring diagram but it just doesnt work. I did test the LED working so I know thats not it. If you figure it out let me know!

2) The directional blinker only works one way. Meaning if I put on my left blinker the idiot light blinks, if I put on my right blinker it doesnt. If I swap the + & - wires on the LED it does the same thing just in reverse so the right causes it to blink but not the left. I am assuming it because of the type of LED.

3) The idiot lights are way to bright. Last night was my first night ride and it looks great and is easy to read but I went to flip my high beams on and had to turn them right of because the blue LED was so bright it blinded me, literally. I dont know if it was a glare from my helmet visor or my glasses but I couldnt see crap lol.

Other than that I really like it, speed seems correct and it looks good

Comment

Originally posted by StrtLegal View Post
                            PICS! I am picking up another GS and want to go this route with it since the last one was a cafe. I like the fender and seat can't wait to see it! Good work man

Unfortunately I didnt do the fender or seat yet. I kinda cut the build short and just put the bike back together because of gas. I was hitting $100/wk in my truck and I just couldnt afford it.

I am still going to do it but I will probably not get to it till fall. Over the summer I will probably just recover the OEM seat I got, valve cover caps, and a new exhaust. I still need to paint the tank and side panels too but I think I may build a paint booth in my garage first and grab an HPLV gun instead of using rattle cans :P

Comment

Originally posted by StrtLegal View Post
                              Almost forgot 2 other guys already did that fender and seat, Mike & Boppi did. There posts should still be under the appearance mod section.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                                Speedo works really good. The way i had it wasnt going to work because the headlight bowl cause a major bend in the speedo cable. So I drilled a hole in the bowl and ran the cable through the bowl minimizing the bending. Works good so far with no issues.

I only have three complaints so far with the speedo.

1) I could not get the oil pressure light wired up. Dunno why. I followed the wiring diagram but it just doesnt work. I did test the LED working so I know thats not it. If you figure it out let me know!

2) The directional blinker only works one way. Meaning if I put on my left blinker the idiot light blinks, if I put on my right blinker it doesnt. If I swap the + & - wires on the LED it does the same thing just in reverse so the right causes it to blink but not the left. I am assuming it because of the type of LED.

3) The idiot lights are way to bright. Last night was my first night ride and it looks great and is easy to read but I went to flip my high beams on and had to turn them right of because the blue LED was so bright it blinded me, literally. I dont know if it was a glare from my helmet visor or my glasses but I couldnt see crap lol.

Other than that I really like it, speed seems correct and it looks good
                                Good review...thanks. I'll be sure to let you know if I get the oil pressure light working.

There's got to be a way to get the blinker idiot light to work for both sides. I haven't an ounce of electrician in me, so I don't have a clue how to do it, but somebody has to have an answer. Hope they see this thread and clue us in. I wonder if a relay has anything to do with it.

Thanks again, bud! I'd really like to see some updated pics....even if it isn't finished. It was looking real good in those last pics you showed us.
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2008, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X