Fix or Replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix or Replace

Well hello guys/gals, newbie here and just got a 78 GS1000e for next to nothing. Right now the gas tank is the only real weak spot and I haven't been able to get it out to get it to run, but I know it was running last year. Previous owner burned up the battery with a car charger and pushed it in the back and it hasn't been run since. I was wondering would you try and fix this tank or just replace it. All my pics are too big to download so gonna have to explain it. Bottom left edge rusted about 5 inches worth which had to be fixed and shows signs of leaking.

Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2008, 03:21 AM.

Whats wrong with the tank exactly? Secondly, it might be a challenge to find that tank in any good shape. Thirdly, PICS PICS PICS!!! Fourthly, WELCOME to the GSR

Comment

Are you good at welding? If so then patch it up. If not then consider getting one off of ebay. Although might be tricky finding your tank as people are in love with the 'E's and shun the poor 'L's

Comment

Better Pic

Hope this pic is better It shows how extensive the damage is on my existing tank. Poor guy tried to fix it with jbweld. Looks like the whole tank is going to have to be redone. I have a welder that has some skills, and I have done some tank work on other projects. So I may be able to fix this one. And you say that finding a 78 tank is hard, What other tanks will work with this. I may be able to find something local.

Comment

Another Pic

I'm gonna get this right yet.

Comment

hi, a tank from a gs750 will also fit except that you have to beat the underside in a little. now i've never actually done this but a guy that knows alot about gs's told me that and i have a tank that it was done to and it does fit a 1000. so you would have to get one in good shape that could handle being dented in a bit. i can post a picture later if anyone is interested.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

That looks like a replace to me :P

Comment

One on EBAY now

Comment

I would think replacing would be cheaper and easier than fixing. Likely the inside of the tank is pretty nasty which would mean doing a liner as well.

The tank on my 83 had rotted and leaked on the right side but on the frame side of the tank so it wasn't noticeable from looking at the bike from the right side. The tank had let go on the previous owner when 700 miles from home. He had it professionally welded but never trusted it after that and parked the bike for 7+ years.

When I got it, there were a couple of pin size holes in the weld joints which I fixed with plumbers epoxy putty and to be doubly certain of a seal, I put in a liner ( Phenel Novolac epoxy from www.caswellplating.com fabulous stuff meant to work specifically with rusty tanks).

With professional welding, tank liner and repainting I'd think you would be $200 plus at least. You should be able to get a better tank for half of that or less.

Good luck with the project.
                  Cheers,
                  spyug

Comment

Hey mate.
                    I think your best bet might be to get a replacement tank.
                    Unless you can do the soldering/welding yourself and have plenty of patience.
                    The tank on my GS1000ET was rusty like that and every attempt to fix it was a wazza.
                    And like others have said the inside of the tank is probably knackered as well.
                    Cheers

Comment

WOw yeah, that looks like a replacement candidate to me too. And that one on fleabay is NICE. Clean on the inside, and no real big dents. Nicest one ive seen in a while. Most you find will be crap on the inside, or dented to hell and back. Snatch that up!! (Im a tank junkie. I now own 4 for my 750 in various conditions)

Comment

Working...
                      X