83 GS750E Side Bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750E Side Bags?

Hi I’m looking for suggestions for putting side bags on my 1983 gs750E. Any suggestions would be great. I haven’t decided on hard or soft bags would like to see about price and ease of installation plus the look. Thank you for your time.

Any photos of bikes with side bags and a story of how you did your side bags would be nice.

Bill spangle

lpo103@sbcglobal.net

When I bought my bike it already had soft bags but I've taken them on/off a few times quickly and easily. No mounting brackets or any modifications. You remove the seat and lay them over the fender(like a horse saddle). There are adjustment holes to lengthen or shorten the harness so when the bags have a load they should be at least an inch above the exhaust.
    I also use 2 zip ties on each side to secure the built in loops to the fender rail to minimize any sliding from one side to another or sagging under a load. This usually doesn't happen anyway because the seat and rider's weight rest on the leather harness.
    They are made of leather and have kept things dry during rides in heavy rain. They are flexible so I can really stuff things into them too. Once I had 4 lbs of shrimp with ice in one and $50 worth of fireworks in the other for the 4th of July.
    Usually you can find them on Craig'slist for under $100. I like the plain look with no tassels, rivets, etc....
    A negative would be that you can't lock them but if someone really wants to they could use a good screwdriver and pop a hard bag open.
    See my avatar picture. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
      they should be at least an inch above the exhaust.
      and $50 worth of fireworks in the other for the 4th of July.
      :shock: [-o<

You like living life on the edge, don't you? :-D

Comment

Bill, I think soft sided would be the easiest for you. I got a set off E-bay which seem to work fine.

Two velcro straps go over the seat and another under the seat and over the frame. On mine there are a couple of smaller straps from the bottom of the bags which I wrap around and tie to the the grab handles on each side of the frame.

For about $40 they're fine for carrying stuff for day trips or for runs to the grocery store. I'm not sure what volume they will hold but I can get a large size helmet in either bag.

For a bit more storage I run a tank bag and carry a bungie cord "net" which I can attach to the bags and or my back seat. I've also seen some 750Es with racks fitted behind the seat.

This is mine:
        The nice thing about soft luggage is that you don't have to add any hardware to the frame and it is easy to take off if you need to.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Cheers,
        Spyug
        Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

These are Eclipse P-38s. I built hard plastic liners to put inside to keep the shape.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

My wife's 850L has leather bags that came with the bike. I moved the turn signals to a bracket on the license plate and moved the bags a little farther back, but the shocks no longer held them away from the wheel. After a bit of fabrication, I now have brackets that keep the bags away from the wheel and hold them off the pipes. I use wire ties under the seat to keep the bags from sliding forward.

This picture was taken before the signals were re-located rearward.

The bracket. I used threaded holes that were already in the frame and existing holes in the luggage rack, so no drilling and tapping.

The view from the rear.

The view under the seat.

Last edited by Steve; 03-18-2008, 11:04 PM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"Cargo" brand by Frank Thomas - check out their "Sport" saddlebags - sold exclusively through CycleGear (order online if you don't have one close). Left 'em on for a couple of years in all kinds of weather with these bags on continuously, and all they did was fade a bit. Then I sold the bike...

Easy on/off, 2x expandable, extremely durable, inner plastic sleeve for maintaining their shape, come with bungee cords, rain covers and shoulder straps. 100% satisfaction guaranteed, as well. Can't go wrong.

I've bought 2 different version of their tank bags over the past few years, too - absolutely no complaints.

-Q!

Comment

Cortech Saddlebags with a Tailbag

Comment

Originally posted by Quasimodo View Post
                  :shock: [-o<

You like living life on the edge, don't you? :-D
                  yeah...but I faced them outward and rearward just in case....does that count for being cautious:shock:?

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                    I have these as well. They fit pretty good and you can cram a bunch into them. I like that they all hook together also. They stay in place real well.

Comment

Working...
                    X