undercoated frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

undercoated frame

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the canned beadliner/undercoat stuff that you can get from auto part stores. My frame is kind of nicked up, and I am tinkering with the idea of using this stuff on it. I like the flat rugged look that it gives (in theory), but I was curious about how practical/strong it is.

I am asking because I don't think I feel like spending the time/money to get my frame powder coated or pro sprayed. And rattle can paint jobs just don't have the durability that I think a frame needs from road debris and inaccurate wrenching.

I did find the thread on rhino coating, but I think that would be overkill, and once again I would be dealing with the time/expense of having a pro do it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paint it with POR 15, very veryvery hard glossy black finish, you can brush it on but there are no brush marks, looks sprayed.
    Or you can spray it from a gun.
    Lasts forever.
    Last edited by tkent02; 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,
      I saw some chopper or HD magazine (American Iron?) about a year ago with a bike done almost entirely in line-x or Rhinoliner.

Here is a discussion in another forum on the subject:

I kind of like the black look--like the Vulcan Mean Streak.

Good Luck!
      Lyle

Comment

Gotta say the POR-15 stuff looks good.

How much would I need to do the frame though? Will a pint stretch far enough?

It also says that it needs to be top coated to protect it from UV rays.

It looks like after all that I am gonna be spending around $100. For that kind of cash I could probably get some of the guys at the shop across the street to spray it.

Comment

If you don't need the rust converting feature of the POR-15, you could use the 'Hardnose' brand of topcoat paints they make. They are also super hard. I used that on my 550 frame and found it works great. I sprayed it, too. Just had to thin it out - I think I used xylene for that.

Comment

I used the spray on bed liner stuff to paint some plastic parts on my dirt bike. It came out surprisingly good. However, it doesn't stick well to the plastic and has tarted flaking off. I think spraying it on metal would yield better results. I really like the looks though. It was really easy to use. It ends up looking like wrinkle coat. I think you could get a better finish than anything that you might brush on.

Comment

Menards often sells Herculiner on sale for around $44 after rebate ($64 - regular price) for a complete kit that includes a gallon of "stuff" and the necessary rollers, etc. to prep and coat the surface. I haven't tried it myself yet, but already have the kit. I've heard it is quite good! I've also heard that if you don't want the "pebbled" look you can apply it without mixing it first ... this leaves the rubber/sand/whatever it is down at the bottom and allows for a smooth finish.

Sometime soon I do plan to give it a try - I'll report back once I have.

Regards,

Comment

I am in the process of painting my frame. I just used engine enamel from NAPA. I let it dry for a week per the requirements and its some pretyt good stuff. Doesnt scratch off and seems pretty durable. We shall see once it hits the road lol.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the Herculiner ought to do a great job of replacing the "stick-on" non skid surface that was originally on the floorboards I added last year. I like the fact that I can supposedly control whether or not I want the "pebbled" finish or not with the roll on products while still getting a coating that's supposed to be much more resilient than paint.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                  X