No announcement yet.

750 cafe thing - opinions welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea, i like that tank better, is that an 1100 tank with the knee indents? Whats the radiator shop charge to do a tank?? or should i just stick with 24 dollar red-kote (i've heard bad things about kreem).

Comment

Originally posted by lostsoul74 View Post
      yea, i like that tank better, is that an 1100 tank with the knee indents? Whats the radiator shop charge to do a tank?? or should i just stick with 24 dollar red-kote (i've heard bad things about kreem).
      you can buy meratic acid at ace for 3.99 per gallon , its what radiator shops use . it will clean the toughest rust out of a tank . use gloves and do it out side

Comment

nope, thats a stock 77-79 750 tank that i beat the knee indents into. This one, as i said, is kinda middle of the road as far as how dramatic the indents are.. One of my other ones is much more drastic.

Comment

How did you beat the indents in?? Wanted to do the indents to my bike but wasnt sure how to go about it??

Comment

Originally posted by sonnygs1100 View Post
            you can buy meratic acid at ace for 3.99 per gallon , its what radiator shops use . it will clean the toughest rust out of a tank . use gloves and do it out side

thanks sonny, didnt know that. got plenty of that already cause i use it to clean tile work.

Comment

nice work cafekid, i'm impressed.

Comment

thanks guys. Zerofreeze, its relatively simple. decide the pattern you want, looks, functionality of where they would fall acording to your knees when on the bike. Make a paper pattern based on this so you can match the sides up (DO NOT use the tank badge mounts as a reference, they are NOT in the same location side to side, despite how they may look, ask how i know) Mark the pattern on the tank with a sharpie or whatever, and use a ball peen or a deadblow hammer, working about a half inch inside your line along the pattern. You dont want to get TOO much deeper in one spot than any other, or you'll start to develop a crease, which is a pain to get flat again. Work along the top line moving back to front, then the bottom line, back to front. Then come across the middle. Carefull here, as even slight blows will push it in quickly. You'll get a feel for how much pressure is needed to get the result you want, and once you have your basis lines set, it will pretty much do what you ask it to. I would suggest using a spare old crappy tank as a practice medium, but I didnt and got lucky on my first one. After you have it pretty uniform on both sides, and the depth and degree you want the indents, you'll need to go over it with some body filler to smooth things out. This is the tricky part, as getting the bondo to work in the compound curves is tough (for me at least, i had no experience with bondo prior) keep working light coats of bondo till you achieve the desired look. Mind you, it will take alot of work and patience to get them PERFECTLY smooth. I still havent gotten to that point yet.

Comment

go to YouTube.com and type in hammering tank indents, you can leaern ANYTHING on youtube, i just learned custom concrete countertops last month and made some for home.

This episode is how to hammer knee indents into a Honda CB 750 Stock tank for that slick cafe look. This was the first time I have done this and I was surpri...

Comment

go to YouTube.com and type in hammering tank indents, you can leaern ANYTHING on youtube, i just learned custom concrete countertops last month and made some for home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-1adqRyVU
                    Sweet! I think the only thing really required for this project is the nerve to do it. I believe I'm going to add this to my list of things to do with my 850G. Thanks for the link!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-1adqRyVU
                      Thanks for the link!

Comment

do you have you thing painted yet ? check out my thread ,if i could get a few free hours id have my seat done. and here the pic of the raptor fairing .

Comment

can you give us a pic of hte fairing on the gs? does it look right??? i've seen these all over ebay, but once saw a pic and they really looked odd on cruiser/chops.

Comment

i can take a pic of it held up to my 1100e tomorrow , im not using it on my bike to small

Comment

yea thats what i think i said on your other thread, seen em on ebay cheap, but had hard time seeing them on a bike, then one ebayer showed a pic of it mounted on an early 80's cruiser, and was definately too small. but eh... whats 30 bucks ya know, dont know till you got it in hand.. lol.

Comment

live and learn . im going to mount in my game room with in line flasher so headlights flash (because my daughter dosent want it on her bike )

Comment

Working...
                                X