using the frame as a raceway for wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using the frame as a raceway for wires

I was thinking about cleaning up thr front end by the head light re(all the wires). so what i was thinking was to use the frame for a race way for the wires. I do know that tricked out choppers do this, but in that kind of bike there not going fast and to the bar and back home, or a poker run.
    I was talking to a friend about this, his thought, it was a bad idea to drill holes in to the frame,
    He is very race orented but the bike will never see a race track or a quarter mile strip just a daily driver.

Any thoughts?

Chris Brophy
    1980 GS750L

"I was talking to a friend about this, his thought, it was a bad idea to drill holes in to the frame", i think you have answered ure own question.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrophy22 View Post
      I was thinking about cleaning up thr front end by the head light re(all the wires). so what i was thinking was to use the frame for a race way for the wires.
      my thoughts would be.. it would be very difficult to track down issues in the wiring. would be hell having to pull the whole thing out. you would need a really good system for preventing the wires rubbing, as well. i think at the end of the day, it just wouldn't be worth it, unless you were really looking for an ongoing project.

i would think if it's for better wire protection, just run a small peice of flexable conduit and paint it black, or simply wrap the wires in heat shield if you want a clean, bundled look.

Comment

Your friend is a very wise man.

Comment

I did that on my last project. A 1966 BSA cafe racer. I did not have any problems, but it's not worth the time and effort IMHO. If you do it use grommets on all the drilled holes.
          My gs project will be starting tomorrow (possibly 60 degrees) and I will try to hide the wiring (maybe in a loom painted same as the frame?) but that's about it. If it's not a show bike it should be functional.

Comment

Originally posted by bowzer View Post
            I did that on my last project. A 1966 BSA cafe racer. I did not have any problems, but it's not worth the time and effort IMHO. If you do it use grommets on all the drilled holes.
            My gs project will be starting tomorrow (possibly 60 degrees) and I will try to hide the wiring (maybe in a loom painted same as the frame?) but that's about it. If it's not a show bike it should be functional.
            Drilled holes can cause cracking in frames.
            Any holes can cause rust inside the frame.
            There may well be sharp edges inside the frame that could cut into some
            insulation since there was no reason to smooth them out inside from the factory.
            Last edited by tkent02; 04-04-2008, 09:34 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X