accessory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accessory question

sure seems like i'm asking a ton of questions lately... oh well... here's another one!

now i know that the GS is not a goldwing with all the bells, whistles, seat warmers, microwaves, televisions, showers, bedrooms, kitchens, and relining sofa standard, but as i am completely navigationally challenged (so much for that orienteering badge in scouts!) i am planning on putting the ol GPS on the handlebars. the big problem i have, as i already have the mount and the GPS system, is how to power the thing as the battery life is abysmal on the thing. if you couldn't tell by my post count/signature/join date, i'm pretty new and i know not much about bikes or their electrical system (but i do have a basic knowledge about wiring and how to do it properly).

so the big question after all that warm up: where can i put a plug for GPS power that won't be in the way and won't cause me to put a huge hole somewhere in the bike?

thanks!

well..

if it's a 12v DC adaptor.. personally, i'd go and buy a female socket and mount it somwhere out of the way, say, behind the left side cover, with a rubber plug and extra care to seal the connections. depending on the GPS system, either have the cord attached to the frame running up to the mount, or if the cord is not removable from the unit, i'd probably run it up near the headlight brackets with care to seal it well, and make sure you have a firm rubber cap to go over the outlet when not in use.

Comment

it is indeed a 12v dc adaptor, but the cord is coiled and i only have one of them... looks like i should buy another cord perhaps...

Comment

you can indeed get a new cord. sometimes if you luck out at the dollar store you can get a great one cheap. i'd leave a cord wired to the battery all the time with a rubber cap, and perhaps a switch if you are worried it'll draw from the battery when not in use ( which it should not, but to help peice of mind ) and then simply plug it in to that socket when needed.

Comment

hah got a great little 12v outlet from wally world and was able to mount it on the left near the fuse box behind the side cover. it's nice and completely hidden and my coiled wire runs up to the bars right alongside the tank and away from the engine (yay! no melted wire! ) now if my dang handlebar mount for the GPS would just get here! gah! shipping takes forever when you're impatient!

Comment

fantastic!

Comment

Working...
            X