83 gs1100es fairing for my 82 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs1100es fairing for my 82 gs1100e

If I get the upper fairing, the fairing bracket, and the headlight bracket (or "stay"), what else am I going to need to put this set up on my 82 (other than the lowers)? I know it is a bolt on, but don't know what else I would need. I am guessing just a headlight (are they difficult to source?) and maybe a headlight bucket?

Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Ask Kichigai

He has the bike you are trying to emulate.

Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Posplayr

Comment

Not so much trying to emulate that one, as trying to get a "factory look" fairing. I plan to paint it red to match my bike.

I also, don't know that it makes a lot of difference to me if I use the 83 gs1100es fairing as opposed to the 83gs750es fairing. My understanding is that either would fit, and that they may even be identical except for the shape of the windscreen. Anybody know?

My biggest concern right now is that: if I buy the upper fairing, the headlight bracket, and the fairing mounting bracket, will I still have endless pieces to source before I can use them? This is a great board, with an unbelievable information base, so I am guessing someone on here knows.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Comment

You need the square headlight, the square headlight mounting ring, the fairing stay, and the fairing pieces. IIRC, there are also two small flat plates that join the left/right fairing pieces together on the inside underneath the headlight - these can be fabbed up out of sheetmetal or aluminum stock.

The fairing is a left and right panel, headlight trim panel, left and right lower, windscreen, and rubber trim for the inside seam.

There are the fasteners that hold the headlight to the headlight ring, the headlight ring to the fairing stay, the fairing stay to the frame, the fairing to the fairing stay, and the windscreen to the fairing - but all of these fasteners could be sourced at your local hardware store.

Check here for an exploded view of the ES fairings - I transplanted ES fairings onto my 750E, and it was a breeze (of course, I had a complete donor bike) - the only issue was that the "ES" wiring harness is routed differently from the "E" behind the headlight, so I had to play with the routing a bit to get the fairing stay mounted.

(This is for a 750ES, but it should be identical to the 1100ES - you can find the 1100ES schematic at the same site)

Good luck!

-Q!

Comment

Are the threaded bosses that the fairing frame bolt to on your frame? If not you'll have to fab those up. The 700/750/1100 versions are all exactly alike except for the differences in paint and decals.
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I believe the '83 E's have the necessary holes to mount up the fairing...the 82's do not have them stock. IMO, the ES's are very sharp-looking with the fairing, (my fav GS model) but I would hate to lose the huge 1100E 8" 'train light' for the square ES item. Another option would be to use the 1150 fairing with some mods, as some have done with good results, and retain the stock headlight. Check out member Solosuzuki's cool '82 1100E.

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Fairing transplant

Thanks Q. I had looked for an exploded view, but didn't find it. That helps. A donor vehicle is certainly the way to go, IF there is one available. Always makes it easier for any kind of swap, auto or biek. BTW, I think your bike looks awesome.

I went ahead and bought the three main pieces and will look for the rest.

Fabbing mount bosses, etc. isn't a problem. I am pretty good at fabbing and welding. May even fab the lower sections out of sheet aluminum.

Tony: I agree. None of the aftermarket fairing set ups "do it" for me. I just like the factory look. Yeah, I like the big round headlight, but I can always remove the fairing and go back naked.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Lynn

Comment

Working...
              X