rusty chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rusty chrome

Whats the best way to remove surface rust on chrome?

Try spraying some WD-40 on there and then rub it out with 0000 (very fine) steel wool. You don't want to rub it too hard or long though or you risk rubbing the chrome coating right off.

Comment

I've used SOS pads with amazing success on the center caps for my Jeep (the only chrome you'll find on that thing). When done, the chrome looks brand new....and doesn't take too much elbow grease.

Comment

CRC2 sells this polish called "Colonel Brassy" that works wonders on icky chrome without the danger of damage like steel wool.

It's too abrasive for bare aluminum, but it does work extremely well on rusty chrome.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Comment

There is a product called Never Dull that I have used with great success to remove surface rust. You can even get this stuff at the local Wal Mart.

Comment

That's what I use too. I've had good results with it, but I'm always up for info on anything that works better! It's pretty easy to remove any rust that's removable. I've got a lot of surface off my '79 GS1000E that I'm bringing back from sitting up in the shed. Here's what to look for. I like the way it has the "wadding" saturated with the cleaner so you pull out a piece and rub with it untill it gets dirty and then get another one. When you get it where you want it wipe to a good shine with an old T-Shirt.

Comment

Re-post from another thread

I use this stuff, its the best I have found at removing rust. The Nano polish is so much better then Mothers ever thought it was!!!
                Evapo-Rust I followed an earlier thread on this and they are right, it is awsome if you can soak the item overnight. Another good thing is that you just pour the stuff right back into its bottle without the ick residue of course :grin: Its a little pricey but I think it has awsome fuel tank cleaning possabilities because it wont harm the petcock.
                Attached Thumbnails

Comment

Try wadding up a ball of aluminium foil and rubbing vigorously over said dodgy chrome.Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

related question

Which, if any, of these products would be good for just straight up polishing your engine parts?

Comment

Which parts? The aluminum parts? Mother's aluminum polish or simichrome

Comment

Good point - I did mean the aluminum, or non-chrome engine parts.

Comment

Yeah those two will certainly do the trick. Of course, this is assuming the original clear coat has already been removed and it's relatively shiny. If the piece has scratches or has those darker veins etc etc, then more serious polishing using wet sand paper and/or a mounted buff and various types of "rouge" could be in order.

Check around the appearances forum... there have been a few posts on this in the past 2 weeks. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
                            Which, if any, of these products would be good for just straight up polishing your engine parts?
                            Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                              Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!
                              Now that's funny!

Comment

Working...
                              X