Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like to polish/buff up my GS-750B engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to polish/buff up my GS-750B engine.

Hi everyone,

I would like to polish/clean up my GS-750 engine, carbs, side covers. What is going to work best to get in between the cooling fins? Is there a polish or compound I can use in conjunction with a buffing wheel attached to a drill? I have poked around a bit on this site and some guys seemed to have used paint stripper/sandpaper ( would prefer to stay away from paint stripper )to remove the yellowed plastic coating. I would like to leave the engine in the frame but take off the pipes, carbs, etc so that I can get at stuff. Looking forward to any help.

Cheers,
    Tom

Try the search feature. You should find plenty of threads on that. RenoBruce did an amazing job with Simple Green and a toothbrush.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Using a can of $4 is the easiest and most practical, but if you want to try something else, get a stripping wheel from wal-mart or a parts store. They are brown or green, get the finer one. You can put a bolt with washers and a nut through it and drill/ die grinder mount it. This will get in between the fins nicely. For the hard to reach parts do it by hand.

To polish in between buy a 'sisal' wheel at the parts store (they will order one) for about $7, and get some 'tripoli' compound from eastwood.com for $5.95. You can also buy dremel polishing tips (white and pointy) to use, just don't get the little polishing wheels for dremels, they suck.

What I would do is only clean between the fins then flat or block sand the edge of the fins to make em' a little square (not much!) and just polish them only, it looks awesome and is ALOT faster.

Comment

Working...
      X