Pic Request: Flat Black Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic Request: Flat Black Bike

I am going to be repainting my bike soon and was wondering how it would look in flat/satin black.

I have an '80 GS 550L model so it has the chrome fenders, which I am thinking on painting flat black as well. I think I'd like the look of flat black with chrome forks, headers/exhaust, etc...

Any pics would be great! It'll help me make the decision much easier.

flat black looks like someone was too lazy to finish.
    Looks like ass.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      flat black looks like someone was too lazy to finish.
      Looks like ass.

Gee tk, did some one paint your trike flat black when you were a kid? 8-[

CJ, look in the GS gallery. Theres a few black bikes pics in there.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

i think it can look good if done right.....

everyones entitled to their opinion!

in most cases though TK is right

Comment

I think if you really gun-ho on the flat black, adding a little bit of pin striping really helps and would make it look a little less like a lazy mans finish.

Also... PLEASE don't just paint over the chrome. PLEASE! Surface prep makes all the difference.

Comment

I love a good ratbike!

Comment

I don't know that either of those qualifies as a Rat. The Airtight looks nice, but "rat?" I don't really think it qualifies.

This is a rat IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GSBuilder View Post
                I don't know that either of those qualifies as a Rat. The Airtight looks nice, but "rat?" I don't really think it qualifies.

This is a rat IMO.
                http://www.ratbike.org/
                I agree. As far as I'm concerned, anything with an intentionally cultivated or developed look is not a rat. I wouldn't even call it a rat poser. I think it looks tough in flat black. But then again, if enough people get together and call their bikes "rat", then I guess that's what they're called. So what do you call a rider who obviously cares only about performance?
                Last edited by Dogma; 05-06-2008, 02:12 PM.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nothing looks tougher
                  I love flat black!!!!!!

Comment

I'm thinking about painting my Bandit flat black and if I had a toy car it would definitely be flat black!
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic of my chopper which just got done with satin black and satin clear. I agree with an earlier poster who said that flat just looked a little unfinished to me. I was very happy with the look/result.

Comment

Thanks guys. What I am looking for is more of a satin than totally flat black. Russr33, your bike looks great! That is pretty much what I am going for, but maybe slightly less glossy.

I'm thinking on spraying a black base coat, then adding a little design and finally spraying on a clear/flattener coat. So I guess it won't be pure flat black, but not a gloss either.

BTW, I am a sandblaster/painter by trade (my family has been in the sandblasting business since the 1940's) so I know all about prep work . I'll be taking the tank (and possibly the fenders) and sandblasting them, then bondo the few small imperfections, finish glaze, prime then paint.

Just don't know if I want to paint the fenders yet. Not much else to paint on the GS if I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado CJ View Post
                          Thanks guys. What I am looking for is more of a satin than totally flat black. Russr33, your bike looks great! That is pretty much what I am going for, but maybe slightly less glossy.

I'm thinking on spraying a black base coat, then adding a little design and finally spraying on a clear/flattener coat. So I guess it won't be pure flat black, but not a gloss either.

BTW, I am a sandblaster/painter by trade (my family has been in the sandblasting business since the 1940's) so I know all about prep work . I'll be taking the tank (and possibly the fenders) and sandblasting them, then bondo the few small imperfections, finish glaze, prime then paint.

Just don't know if I want to paint the fenders yet. Not much else to paint on the GS if I don't.
                          Thanks CJ - The pics really make it look a little shinier than it really is. It looks just like satin powdercoat in person. I was having the same questions you were before I did it. When I got the bike it was flat black (no clear and unfinished) and my buddy has a black gloss job so I was shooting for kinda an in-between look. Maybe you could shoot it flat and then use a satin clear? Or powdercoat it?

Comment

I actually powder coated the tank, the exhaust and parts of the engine. I shot the front fender and the side plastics and tail flat black. I like the way it looks.

Comment

Working...
                            X