Pic Request: Flat Black Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint

Six coats of black 4 coats of clear and oh ya not to mention the 2 coaats of primer the picture dosen't do it justice and the paint actually got rained on the night before and actually had dry spots all over it I'll post up some better ones soon
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2008, 11:52 PM. Reason: spell

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post

DUDE!!!! Now that is one sweet ride!!!!

But where are you handle bar controls???

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
        DUDE!!!! Now that is one sweet ride!!!! But where are you handle bar controls???
        Its a chopper.... Lights always on, Turn signals are built into the drivers shoulders, keys on the side!

Edit: WAIT.... I see a toggle to the left of the tank too!
        Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2008, 11:00 AM. Reason: Edit: WAIT.... I see a toggle to the left of the tank too!

Comment

Originally posted by atvpyrofreak View Post
          Its a chopper.... Lights always on, Turn signals are built into the drivers shoulders, keys on the side!

Edit: WAIT.... I see a toggle to the left of the tank too!
          LOL; correct on all counts! Ignition by whammer button on starter. A buddy has a chop that has Jaybrake handlebar controls that control four 1/4"x3" led strips (two on handlebars, 1 each on frame above rear axle) for turn signals. They will be going on soon. Light up nice but are unobtrusive light regular signals.

Thanks for the compliment mortation. It just got back from paint and pinstriping. Few things still to do. atvpyro, you done anything new since your repaint?

Here's my '78 which is about to undergo major reconstruction

Comment

And sorry Colorado CJ, didn't mean to Hijack your thread!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigS View Post
              I actually powder coated the tank, the exhaust and parts of the engine. I shot the front fender and the side plastics and tail flat black. I like the way it looks.

Bro, I love the look of your bike. Can you break down what it is to "powder coat"

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                And sorry Colorado CJ, didn't mean to Hijack your thread!
                Not a problem, I like to see/read others ideas no matter which bike. This GS is my first road bike and I look forward to getting others in the future.

Comment

That satin black looks amazing. I love it. I've never been a huge fan of just flat black. When it is used for racing stripes or something akin to graphics, such as on the old Dodge/Plymouth muscle cars, I think it looks phenomenal. Flat black by itself looks like primer, which I understand to be the purpose judging by the tradition of rat rods.

Comment

Thanks, Maro.

We have a powder coater near where I work that does jobs very reasonably for us. Powder coating is when metal parts are electrostatically charged and then "coated" with a dry powder instead of liquid paint. The powder is attracted to the part the same way your hair is attracted to a balloon (after it is rubbed on your head). The parts are then baked in a big oven, which melts the powder onto the part. The resulting finish is incredibly durable. I am probably doing a horrible job explaining the process (which is why I have to pay somebody to do it).

Comment

Working...
                    X