Getting there...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting there...........

Ok, trying to finish my Kat without the fairing, I think she'll look good (and hopefully not freaky)

Got the headlight on today, gonna mount the guages on polished aluminum brackets where the old fairing frame was bolted to, what do you guys think of that idea? I'm thinking it'll add to its profile in a low and mean, but classic GS look.

Soon the frame will be powdercoated gloss black. To be polished: forks, m/c, calipers, triple tree head bracket, swing arm.

Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2008, 04:44 AM.

more polishing, more powdercoating
    isnt she a star already???

seriously, looks sweet :-D

btw, hows your cornering clearance with that pipe?
    (i scraped my engine guard the other day :shock:, hence my interest...)

GS850GT

Comment

hey psy.

haven't had any problems turning yet, but then i always go easy around turns and don't really have to lay her over much. love the mtc 4 into 1 pipe, has a nice rumble to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Escobarclan View Post
        Ok, trying to finish my Kat without the fairing, I think she'll look good (and hopefully not freaky)
        Freaky? Only if that's a good thing. :-D

Got the headlight on today, gonna mount the guages on polished aluminum brackets where the old fairing frame was bolted to, what do you guys think of that idea? I'm thinking it'll add to its profile in a low and mean, but classic GS look.
        Honestly, if it's flowing with the lines of the bike, I think it'll look great. Be sure to post a pic when you get to mounting them. I'm curious to see exactly where they're going.

Comment

Why don't you blast and paint (instead of powder coat )your frame and bits?I looked at both for my 'S and went with paint.More durable,easier to repair,less prep,cheaper and looks just as good.Cheers,Simon.\\/
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Frankly i LIKE the silver frame. Think it helps set off the polish job on the bike since your body work is a lil dark. Just my opinion tho.

Comment

Appreciate the comments guys.

As far as the type of paint finish, it's not written in stone.

The aftermarket LED guages are gonna be mounted on polished alum brackets I made, right where you see the bolt holes that the fairing frame mounted on (see above), behind the forks on the frame right above the exh. pipes but below the gas tank. I think it'll give her a kinda wide and low sweep that'll only compliment the already big & wide sweep the 1000 tscc's have.

Since I'm 5"6, I have to really lean into the bars to drive her, It'll be kind of a natural thing to glance down and see how bad I'm breaking the law.

As for the frame, it HAS to be black. I have seen an old CSR1000 around town that's got low bars, a black frame, a black engine with polished fin tips, and all the engine covers and dressing polished up, and it looks BADASS. I wish I had a pic to show you guys, talk about impressive.

I know I've got a classic, and she's gonna look drag-like, but I've been conscious of her originality, and I can make her that way virtually over night (sans paint).

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                Why don't you blast and paint (instead of powder coat )your frame and bits?I looked at both for my 'S and went with paint.More durable,easier to repair,less prep,cheaper and looks just as good.Cheers,Simon.\\/
                easier, cheaper, less prep AND more durable - thats not often how it goes
                powdercoating is more durable than any paint (although it can be compared in strenght to baked enamel with good prep)
                GS850GT

Comment

The aftermarket LED guages are gonna be mounted on polished alum brackets I made, right where you see the bolt holes that the fairing frame mounted on (see above), behind the forks on the frame right above the exh. pipes but below the gas tank. I think it'll give her a kinda wide and low sweep that'll only compliment the already big & wide sweep the 1000 tscc's have.

Since I'm 5"6, I have to really lean into the bars to drive her, It'll be kind of a natural thing to glance down and see how bad I'm breaking the law.
                  Ah! I see them now. Sorry....I didn't notice them when I was looking the bike over yesterday. Honestly, not sure how I could have missed them other than the fact that they blend in with all that silver.

I think that'll look pretty cool. Definitely different. Let us know how it works. With me being 6'3", it's not even an option (plus, I like the stock position)....but if it works for you, that's cool.

This bike is going to be awesome, dude.

Comment

Man...I keep looking at that slick looking Kat...that frame looks damn good the color it is. Black would look good but I really think it would look good the same color as your tank.
                    Do the sharpie test. Print a few decent sized pics out 11x17 ...good profile, etc. and color in the frame with a pen. Try different colors...like that pretty blue... Let the pics hang near the bike for a few days so you can look back and forth between them.

Comment

If we're being completely honest - I think your bike is beautiful but without the fairing it's a GS, with the fairing it's a Katana. It's the fairing and bodywork that makes these bikes different from the rest and so incredibly desirable. Without the bodywork I would give it 9/10, bodywork would make it 10/10.

Just my opinion, as I said I think it is a sweet bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchman View Post
                        I really think it would look good the same color as your tank.
                        yeah, that'd look fantastic!
                        i second this, escobarlan :-D
                        GS850GT

Comment

Kats are one of those rare bikes that are pretty hard to 'dork up'. That being said, you've got an unusual approach to the Kat...different, but still it's a Kat, so it's almost gotta be cool; and your bike is cool. I'm a huge fan of the Kat fairing and the Kat side plates, also. Whereas I'm not a fan of the silver frame, it is sort of a Kat trade-mark and looks 'correct' on this beast. All-in-all it's your ride...keep us posted as you continue to develop it.

-KR

Comment

Appreciate the comments guys.

The aftermarket LED guages are gonna be mounted on polished alum brackets I made, right where you see the bolt holes that the fairing frame mounted on (see above), behind the forks on the frame right above the exh. pipes but below the gas tank. I think it'll give her a kinda wide and low sweep that'll only compliment the already big & wide sweep the 1000 tscc's have................
                            What type of aluminum (what thickness, etc) are you planning on for the brackets? Where can you get whatever you're gonna use?

Comment

Thanks for the input and compliments guys.

I have get flat aluminum stock from a couple buddies at the airport maint. hangers, them polish them up.

I live in Mena, Arkansas where tens of thousands of CMA (christian motorcyclists' association) come each year. Alot of em' walk up to me when I'm in town with my Kat and ask about her. I've gotten alot of good feedback and some smirks and head wagging (mostly at the MTC open header sound). The kind of people who don't like her ride around in these huge goldwings (that probably have autopilot anyway, lol) that got here on the back of a half million $ RV.

These smirkers and head waggers riding around posing on their store bought mini starship enterprises just don't and may never understand the busted knuckles, sweating, freezing, love, dedication, and time we give our old classics.

We keep the faith. Our bikes set the precedents for the new generation. And after their big plastic cruisers get a few miles and a little miss in a cylinder and get traded off, who will still be riding past their houses?

An old GS chugging along with its' loving rider.

ahem.........ahem.............

Well, I'll be honest. If I see em turn their nose up at me, i blow their freakin' eardrums out.

Comment

Working...
                              X