No announcement yet.

Opinino on exhaust rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, got it saved. I use mold release primarily for 'masking'. It won't let ANYTHING stick to it, but dries, becomes invisible, and isn't sloppy at all so I wipe it on project areas instead of using masking tape. Great for pitted chrome too.

Comment

Mr. Escobar, I'm looking forward to your polishing tips section. And no, you're not too late, as this is turning into a project. I was having pretty good results with 00 steel wool and WD-40 on the header pipes, but the back side of my heat shield, and the top part of the collector are pitted pretty badly, though still solid. Here's what I was planning to do: I bought some Permatex rust dissolving gel (didn't know they made it) to get me back to clean metal where the chrome is gone. Since these areas are out of sight, I bought some silver high-temp pain to protect them. Does that sound like a plan?

For the little tiny rust spots on the muffler, the old gearhead at the auto parts store suggested Bartender's Friend. I haven't picked any of that up yet.

How often does the mold release spray need to be applied? I mentioned in another post that I'm looking for something low maintenance, and it sounds like Bartender's Friend needs to be refreshed if I get it wet.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
        Mold release spray is used in the casting of lead alloy bullets. It contains graphite and is designed to prevent rust in bullet molds so bullets will drop free as they are cast. That just happens to be one of my other hobbies.

Here is a link to a place that sells it:

I've been a customer of midwayusa for years and they are a great company. They also have lots of other metal polish/preserving stuff that would be relevant to bikes.
        Thanks for the link. Even if I have to apply it every time it rains, it's still better than rubbing on a paste or something.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X