What's a good windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a good windshield?

My '78 GS550E is a nice bike and all, but I'd like to be able to take it on the highway without getting blown off. Since I'm going away to school out of state, and I'm taking my bike with, it's almost a necessity. I don't need anything fancy or tinted, but a bigger windshield that would make me more comfortable at higher speeds would be nice.

I've been looking at JCWhitney and they have some nice ones there. I don't want to have to spend more than I have to, so my limit is $100. Any suggestions/advice?

National Cycle has several options, I'm running the Street Shield on My GSX1100G.

The best-selling Plexifairing™ features our patented QuickSet™ Mounting Hardware for easy, 10-second installation and removal. With integral lowers and hand deflectors, the Plexifairing provides excellent year-round, all-season wind protection.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

A little pricey for a small shield, but it looks nice. My thing is, if anyone's familiar with my type of bike, I have a small panel sticking out the right side behind the tachometer to accommodate the switch for my grip heaters and a 12V outlet on the top of the tach. Does the shield go in front of or behind the "dashboard"?

Comment

Check for a Silhouette fairing, might be more in your price range.
        McLoud
        '79 GS850
        `98 GSF1200 Bandit
        sigpic
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=124793
          The sheild on my bike I picked up at a dealer on sale for 45bucks, and it is just fine on the highway, the wind hits me about the middle of the helmet, and my arms and chest are pretty much wind free unless it is a really strong cross wind.
          It is a Hurricane, don't know if that is the manufacturer or the model.

Comment

I Googled Silhouette and couldn't find anything. Is there a site?

Clone's windshield is nice but I'd want something a bit taller. Anything that's good on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
              I Googled Silhouette and couldn't find anything. Is there a site?

Clone's windshield is nice but I'd want something a bit taller. Anything that's good on the highway.
              Not sure, but I think they went belly up. Too bad though, they made a good product, easy to install. Maybe somebody here can post on this.
              Very hard to find in used condition. Just saw one for your '78 550 on Craigslists, but sold the minute after...sorry, wasn't fast enough:sad:
              McLoud
              '79 GS850
              `98 GSF1200 Bandit
              sigpic
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

I'm running a National Cycle "Plexifairing III" on my '79 GS550E. Great wind protection and visibility. The only caution is that they are all molded to fit individual bikes that have stock handlebars meaning, if your order one for your year, make and model, it assumes stock configuration. If you've swapped out handlebars to something different, you might have fitment problems.

Comment

I currently have two Slipstreamer products.

I have a Spitfire on my GS 250. It increases gas mileage and performance on the bike, adding about 6 mpg and maybe 7 miles per hour to the comfortable cruise speed on the smallest GS. It helps keep the wind off of my chest and chin. You have to watch the install angle and minimize any gaps below the shield or the buffet can beat you up. It is a small shield on a small bike. It can also be removed in about 10 seconds

I also have an SS-28 Sportshield on my GS 550. It keeps the wind off of my chest and neck and offers fair hand protection that is greatly appreciated on long rides in colder temperatures. I can't really offer as good an assessment of its impact on performance.

Neither is big enough to duck behind in the rain, and neither will allow you to go without some serious secondary eye protection, i.e. a faceshield, goggles or wraparound sunglasses.

Both seem to magnify buffeting in dirty air around big vehicles like trucks or vans.

Comment

I got a Maier USA windshield a few days ago but just got to ride today. It's not very tall, but it's a lot better than it was before. I hit 80mph, something I wouldn't have been able to do before. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
                      I got a Maier USA windshield a few days ago but just got to ride today. It's not very tall, but it's a lot better than it was before. I hit 80mph, something I wouldn't have been able to do before. Thanks for all the advice.
                      pics and/or link? i'm looking for a low fairing for my g

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                        pics and/or link? i'm looking for a low fairing for my g
                        I took a couple, don't mind the wires; those are just a few things I rigged up and I need to find a better way to clean that up.

Comment

Working...
                        X