Opinion on tank rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on tank rust

This one might belong in technical info, not sure. I went and fetched a parts bike for my 850 last Thursday:

It also came with a seat, in pretty good shape, and a tank. The tank was in the PO's shed when it burned down:

Here are my questions:

All this rust is on the surface. All the metal seems solid. What is the best way to restore and preserve this thing? Should I attempt electrolysis, or would something else be a more effective route to take? I don't have anything I would need to do electrolysis on this thing, and I would need a pretty big tank. Also, some of the paint is still on it. Is there some professional service that could clean this up? Should I attempt to remove the fuel level unit before any of this process?

After the metal is clean, how should I protect it? Since I don't have immediate use for the tank, I was thinking I should coat the inside with Por15 tank sealer, and maybe hit the outside with at least some primer.

You can't see it in the pics, but there are a couple big dents in the top of the tank. Is it realistic to think that these could be hammered out? If so, at what stage should I attempt it?

Again, thanks in advance for your advice.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

go to http://www.por15.com/
    They have a whole catalog dedicated to just this.
    Great products. I have used them in the past.\\/
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
      go to http://www.por15.com/
      They have a whole catalog dedicated to just this.
      Great products. I have used them in the past.\\/
      Aha... I didn't realize they went beyond merely preventing rust. That starter pack looks about right. Not sure how I'll do the inside though. It looks like it goes on with a brush, so I guess I'll have to pour a bunch in and slosh it all around.

Thanks.
      Dogma
      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

How would you go about hammering the dents OUT? you must have small hands! If you have a Dent wizard service around town, like the car dealers use here, he may be able to do something.

Comment

Dogma, Was This The One

on Craigslist in winton woods for 250 bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
            on Craigslist in winton woods for 250 bucks?
            Yeah, got it for $200.
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
              How would you go about hammering the dents OUT? you must have small hands! If you have a Dent wizard service around town, like the car dealers use here, he may be able to do something.

I hadn't gotten around to figuring that out yet. I've seen the Dent Wizard truck running around. Maybe I'll have to give 'em a call.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I think you should separate it in to two issues. The first issue is the outside of the tank and second being the inside of the tank. The reason I say this is that you probably could approach them differently. For the outside, you could take it to a powder coater or some other place that has a sandblaster and blast the hell out of it. That would eliminiate the need for a giant tank to dip it in for the electrolysis. As far as the inside is concerned, you could take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out, or you could try electrolysis at home. I would vote for electrolysis, but I'm kind of a do it yourselfer.

Comment

dogma,
                  are you any good at welding? I think your best bet would be to cut the tank in half, sandblast it in two pieces; getting the inside and outside of the tank. Then weld it back together, treat the inside and prime the outside. I had a link to a website where a company actually did this, but I cannot find it anymore. Seems lengthy, but it would really be the easiest and best way to get the job done.

Cory

Comment

I'd get the outside sandblasted. You have to remove everything from the tank; you may want to replace it anyway. I filled in the dents on my Kwacker tank; not work the hassle or $$$ to any other way. If it's not double walled (like mine) I hear you can use a broom stick, stick it through the filler hole and pop out the dents that way.
                    The inside, I would try evaporust. You could even try it on the outside.
                    Compare our large selection of rust removers. Same day shipping.

Good luck!

Comment

My local radiator shop dipped my tank in their acid bath then coated the inside with sealer for $65. It etched the paint but you don't need to worry about that. There is a local bike shop that has all their tanks done this way before the custom paint jobs are done. Headache free and reasonable.

Comment

Thanks all. I don't weld well enough to attempt splitting it, even if I had a welder. I think I'd still end up using chemicals on it anyway. On the flip side, it's not worth the $65 to have it dipped and coated it is?

I think I'll try one of the chemical options that was suggested. Minimal investment, and I think I have other uses for it... thanks again everyone.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

No disrespect but that tank looks like junk to me (unless you can find someone who can weld). Looks to have several rust holes through the metal although it could just be the photos. The metal is no doubt very thin in places so I'd just ditch it and watch ebay. Dents can be pulled but thin metal, and holes, are another matter.

Sorry for the thumbs down opinion. Good luck.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            No disrespect but that tank looks like junk to me (unless you can find someone who can weld). Looks to have several rust holes through the metal although it could just be the photos. The metal is no doubt very thin in places so I'd just ditch it and watch ebay. Dents can be pulled but thin metal, and holes, are another matter.

Sorry for the thumbs down opinion. Good luck.
                            That was my first thought when I saw it. But there are no holes that shouldn't be there, and everything feels and sounds solid when I bang on various parts I thought might be thin. We'll find out. At least I'm going to learn a thing or three about rust.
                            Dogma
                            --

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              .... Should I attempt electrolysis....
                              Why is the tank hairy or something:shock::razz:

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              You can't see it in the pics, but there are a couple big dents in the top of the tank. Is it realistic to think that these could be hammered out?
                              Body shops have dent pullers that utilize pins which are tack welded on, the dent pulled, the pin then get broken off and the remaining nub ground off...no holes. The tank needs paint anyways!

Comment

Working...
                              X