Clear coat for tank and Motor paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear coat for tank and Motor paint?

I would like to add some decals to my tank. The tank was repainted 5 years ago and I can not find a clear coat that is for paint more than 24 to 48 hours old. Also I am contemplaiting painting all of the aluminum cover plates on my motor. The bike is candy Blue and I would like to use a fire orange color for the polished aluminum pieces... I do like the look of polished alluminum but I think the orange paint will make it unique, what is your guys opinuon? My bike is a 83 GS750e

Duplicolor Ceramic Engine Paint - #DE 1607 Chevrolet Orange-Red

You could probably get away with wetsanding your tank, applying the decals and using an acrylic clear coat. You need to make sure the decals you apply are going to resist the solvents & chemicals in the clear coat too.

You might try stopping by whatever nearby auto supply store supplies paint to the local bodyshops to see what the paint guys there reccomend. Locally here, it is CarQuest.

Comment

Thank you for the tips, I will check into the clear coats available in my area, When you say "wet sand" do you mean taking some 250 grit or so wet sand paper to the paint just to barely rough it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Strat View Post
        Thank you for the tips, I will check into the clear coats available in my area, When you say "wet sand" do you mean taking some 250 grit or so wet sand paper to the paint just to barely rough it up?
        Get a spray bottle with water, add a few drops of liquid dish detergent, and start with 400 grit. LIGHTLY snad then go to 600, then 800. You're not really trying to take paint off, but oxidation, ground in dirt and wear. After all that, clean with a good wax and grease remover.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
          Get a spray bottle with water, add a few drops of liquid dish detergent, and start with 400 grit. LIGHTLY snad then go to 600, then 800. You're not really trying to take paint off, but oxidation, ground in dirt and wear. After all that, clean with a good wax and grease remover.
          And if your existing paint is still in reasonable shape & has clearcoat on it, you might even get away with 800 or 1000 grit. Like Paulyboy said, your just trying to make sure the grunge is gone & you need a clean prepped surface for the new clearcoat to adhere to.

Whatever you start with, LIGHTLY is the operative word here. If you see blue paint on you sandpaper, you've sanded thru the existing clearcoat

Comment

I clearcoated over my factory paint with Valspar automotive urethane clear coat. It is a catalyzed clear. I wet sanded original paint with 600 grit. As stated above, don't go nuts, you just want to abrade the surface. Most metalic or candy colors have clear on them. You don't want to break through that.

Comment

Blackstar do you have a picture pre and post clearcoat?

Comment

Here are the after pictures. I don't have any before shots.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

This bike has had a 2600 dollar paint job... but has been droped sence then

Comment

Working...
                  X