Heiden Tuning Speedometer (Part #03-0748) from MikesXS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heiden Tuning Speedometer (Part #03-0748) from MikesXS

I'm designing a new instrument cluster bracket and will be ordering this speedometer, soon. It's going to take me a couple weeks before I can order it, though. As I'm a little anxious to get the bracket design going, I'm wondering if anybody would happen to have the dimension from the mounting hole to the speedo housing? It's the only information I'm lacking at the moment.

I have it, I'll check for you when I get home from work

Comment

Cool....thanks!

Comment

From the base of the speedo to below the bezel is 1.8" according to the digital calipers

Comment

Okay....thanks a ton, dude!

Here's what I have so far.

Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks, again, StrtLegal. I ended up slotting the mounting holes after I posted those pics. So the 1.8" was all I needed to make it work.

I'll post some pics of the real bracket after I get the parts cut.

Comment

Where are the gauges going in that?

Comment

The fuel gauge will be in the lower left, the oil temp gauge in the lower right. The speedo and tach will fit into the large radius' just to the right and left of the fuel/oil temp gauges. Similar to how they're already set up for the 1100E.

The housings are 2.625" in diameter....the large radii have been designed to allow for .050" clearance all the way around. I'm not sure if I want to mount the speedo and tach gauges above or below the bracket....which is why I've designed it to allow for both.

I designed the center piece around the shift indicator as I really do like having it. I've made room at the top to eventually include a battery voltage gauge.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2008, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
                  The fuel gauge will be in the lower left, the oil temp gauge in the lower right. The speedo and tach will fit into the large radius' just to the right and left of the fuel/oil temp gauges. Similar to how they're already set up for the 1100E.

The housings are 2.625" in diameter....the large radii have been designed to allow for .050" clearance all the way around. I'm not sure if I want to mount the speedo and tach gauges above or below the bracket....which is why I've designed it to allow for both.

I designed the center piece around the shift indicator as I really do like having it. I've made room at the top to eventually include a battery voltage gauge.

OHHHH!!!! Cool! Neat idea I just ditched everything and mounted my speedo (same one) to where the original ignition switch goes. Of course that meant I lost a whole lot lol.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks, again, StrtLegal. I ended up slotting the mounting holes after I posted those pics. So the 1.8" was all I needed to make it work.

I'll post some pics of the real bracket after I get the parts cut.
                    Please man, not a problem, it took two seconds. I hope everything comes out the way tou envision it.

Comment

wow. that is gonna look good!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Mortation,

Just posted in your bike thread. I explained a little confusion on my part...and glad I noticed your link.

Hope you like what I'm coming up with. In checking over the smaller gauges tonight, I found some things I needed to update in my design. I'll make those changes next week, then submit the part files to be cut.

Can't wait to see how this comes out. The fuel and oil temp gauges will be at the lowest level (furthest away) and will have neopreen boots on the backs to conceal the exposed wiring. The speedo and tach will be at the highest level (closest to rider)....and the shift indicator somewhere in between. I think the raised plate that helps hide the shift indicator mounting ears will add a little "cluster bling" (planning to use stainless screws with black gauge brackets). I still need to figure out what I'm going to do about the exposed wiring under the shift indicator. May just end up hitting it with some 3M electrical tape as it won't be seen.

This is the battery gauge I intend to get. It'll match the chrome speedo and tach and offset the black bracketry.

I'd love to find a tachometer that matches the speedo listed on MikesXS.com. I know JC Whitney has one, but from what I've read, it's not near as bright as the tachs from MikesXS. I understand the XS650 tach is not calibrated for our bikes like the one at JC Whitney.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Mortation,

Just posted in your bike thread. I explained a little confusion on my part...and glad I noticed your link.

Hope you like what I'm coming up with. In checking over the smaller gauges tonight, I found some things I needed to update in my design. I'll make those changes next week, then submit the part files to be cut.

Can't wait to see how this comes out. The fuel and oil temp gauges will be at the lowest level (furthest away) and will have neopreen boots on the backs to conceal the exposed wiring. The speedo and tach will be at the highest level (closest to rider)....and the shift indicator somewhere in between. I think the raised plate that helps hide the shift indicator mounting ears will add a little "cluster bling" (planning to use stainless screws with black gauge brackets). I still need to figure out what I'm going to do about the exposed wiring under the shift indicator. May just end up hitting it with some 3M electrical tape as it won't be seen.

This is the battery gauge I intend to get. It'll match the chrome speedo and tach and offset the black bracketry.

I'd love to find a tachometer that matches the speedo listed on MikesXS.com. I know JC Whitney has one, but from what I've read, it's not near as bright as the tachs from MikesXS. I understand the XS650 tach is not calibrated for our bikes like the one at JC Whitney.
                          Definately post up those brackets when you get em done. You could probably make some money back selling sets on eBay! as for the tach:

They have a match just a little more $$$$.

Comment

Thanks dude! Is that tach made by Heiden Tuning as well? If so and lighting is the same, I'll definitely spend $20 more bucks to get the right one.

If I were to sell them as sets, I'd have to hook up with a local machine shop to do it right as I don't want to be going above and beyond what's overlooked with scrap at work. The occasional G-job is okay, but the lasers have overhead tied into using them (a tech to setup and run the machine...plus the power consumed and the consumables themselves).

I'd have to get a quote to see if it would be worth it....and that would be based on piece-price. Not enough and price could be too high. Too many, and price could be good, but can't sell all of them.

I have a friend that powder coats. I may just have to see what it would cost me to get these done. It might look cool if they matched the bike. I don't know. I kind of like the black/chrome idea, too. Either way, I should probably have them done instead of rattle canning them.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2008, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I forgot to metion this before but better late than never....The speedo from Mikesxs is a tenth of a MPH off.

Comment

Working...
                              X