Paint Schemes / Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Schemes / Ideas?

So nothing is gonna happen right away, but I know my bike is long overdo for being painted. Ive done a fair amount of painting before but all residential brush painting, artistic work (oils and acrylics), and limited spray painting for various projects.

Would it be a bad idea to do a custom paint / picture on like the tank and maybe do some pin striping? From what I read so far I think I can handle it doing the primer and base with spray paint, hand brush the picture / pinstripes, then spray a clear coat on it.

I know it probably doesnt sit well with classic restores but I was thinking of making my ride unique to me, the images I'm tossing around are along theses lines.

An American skateboard company founded by George Powell and Stacy Peralta in 1978.

basically some classic skateboard graphics that came out about the same time as the bike, those are early 80s Powell Peralta decks.

The side covers would be repainted but most the custom would be the tank. Probably the skull in a small version just behind the suzuki on the side of the tank and the skull & sword large on the top of the tank.

Edit, this is my tank as is with the possible graphics to add to it, looking at them together i think the suzuki emblem might just go all together.

Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM.

Go for it.A lot of us like our bikes stock but are appreciative of well done customs.What ever pings your wire.Keep us posted.Cheers,Simon.:-D
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

If it were me, I'd use the idea with the flaming skull, painted on the belly of the tank. Then, I'd do the side panels in the "Zebra stripe" motif, outlined in a contrasting pinstripe. Just remember to coordinate the colors with the colors of the other bodywork.

Comment

Here's how I did mine

I painted it one color but hated it.

Comment

Well my bike being the GL model it makes it pretty basic since the only parts that are painted aside from the frame are the side covers and tank.

Comment

80s Powell Peralta would be awesome, go for it. BONES BRIGADE!

Comment

I'm not much into skulls, clowns, birds, dogs, or any pictures on a bike, but I do kinda like the zebra stripes idea. Black & silver w/ just a touch of red; like the board, I could see that wrapped around a tank.

Go for it.

Comment

Not really looking to do the stripes so much as the graphic from the board.

Ill keep you posted as I might start this soon as I am waiting for some new o-rings to get the bike running as it should and can do with the tank off for a few days.

Comment

Ok the painting has been going good, most of today was lost due to the fact my brother in law came by last night only to have his muffler break at the cat and fall off in my driveway. Spent the day chasing down parts and fixing that.

Stripping / before pics

Comment

Bondo and Primer

Comment

Black Paint Started (this will be the base graphics going on tomorrow)

This is some of the frame getting touched up, more to stop the rust from spreading than to be perfect.

Comment

I like it skateguy. When you're done, makesure andget it cleared so gas won't destroy it. Rattle can clear won't get it.

Comment

Working...
                        X