Pexistar 2 windscreen for '82 GS650G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pexistar 2 windscreen for '82 GS650G?

In National Cycle's selections by model, I found their clear Plexistar 2 (item #N8332-10) listed for "All GS650 1981-83". That sounded right for my 1982 GS650G, so I ordered it. Then I received a call from a rep who said she didn't think it would fit behind the turn signals. I told her that the years listed should imply the GS650G model. However, the only model they uniquely list is the GS650L, and I haven't been able to find on any retailer's site a listing for the GS650G specifically.
    We talked it over, and she said she'd research it more and get back to me.
    I've since been searching the web for references to this windscreen from GS650G owners, and have only found references to National Cycle's Plexifairing, which has integral lower (leg) panels, too. (I'd rather not have the lowers, which is why I was interested in the Plexistar.) I did find one remark about using the Plexistar on a GS650GD (didn't know there was a GD).
    So -- does anyone with a GS650G use the National Cycle Plexistar 2 windscreen? If not, can you recommend a different windshield that shelters the torso and is also wide enough to protect the hands?
    Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM.

Can't help you with your windshield dilemma, but the D in the GD indicates that it was an '83 model.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,
      Thanks - that was useful info. The National Cycle rep decided that it should fit and had shipped it when I called to tell her this. The fairing arrived today, installed very cleanly, and fits very well.
      So, anyone with a 1981-83 GS650G should know that National Cycle's Plexistar 2 model #N8332 works.
      Robb

PS - I hope the moderator will change the thread title to PLEXISTAR (from "Pexistar", my initial typo) so searchers can find it later.

Comment

Originally posted by RYwoodview View Post
        Steve,
        PS - I hope the moderator will change the thread title to PLEXISTAR (from "Pexistar", my initial typo) so searchers can find it later.
        Heh, not a big deal, the generic search will search the body of the message too.

Glad it worked out for you. Pics?

Comment

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I would like to see a picture of that windscreen also...

Comment

Sorry, I haven't gotten the chance to set up for a good picture of this yet (a 2 year old child and an ill wife), but if and when I can, I'd be happy to.
              However ... here is the URL for the reference pic from the National Cycle site for the model (#W8332, clear) that I ordered and installed: http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...model=su%2d027
              Obviously a very different bike, but the attachments are the same. On GS650G, the upper telescoping mounts ended up horizontal, and the lower mounts to the fork tubes ended up just below the turn signal lights. As I sit (6' 1"), I can easily see over it.
              I first rode it today, and it works. I suddenly found myself riding at 65 mph with much less wind buffeting than I had felt at 50-55 mph before.

Comment

...and here are the pictures:

It is tough, too. I dumped it parking right after installing it, and it landed on edge of the windscreen. Slightly scratched there, still has some asphalt I haven't gotten out, but no real damage.

Comment

2nd of 4...

Seems I can add only one picture per post:

Comment

3rd of 4...

Comment

4th of 4...

Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

The plexistar 2 is a nice shield. I just removed the one on my bike as I don't do much hiway riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Guy View Post
                          The plexistar 2 is a nice shield. I just removed the one on my bike as I don't do much hiway riding.
                          Have any interest in selling it?

Where in Florida are you?
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by RYwoodview View Post
                            Seems I can add only one picture per post:
                            Not if you follow the suggestions in BassCliff's website.

See? You can put up to four pictures at a time in a post, but you have to be aware that smilies count as pictures, too.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I've got a plexistar 2 on mine that I bought used from a guy that had it on a 75 GL 1200. its like new and it only cost $50. I have smaller aftermarket turn signals so clearance was not an issue. craigslist rules!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X