Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally pics of my Junkyard Cafe Dog

Hey guys,

Some of you may remember that I purchased a 77 GS550 out of a junkyard in april of 2007, and continued to try to get her running all spring. This was the bike as it arrived at my apartment:

the carbs were sitting in a carb cleaner soaked cardboard box when I bought it. A lot of time and some carb o-ring kits later, and I had it running. I did a little cleaning but mostly once I got it running I just rode it around all summer. Put about 2000 miles on it, mostly just riding around Cincinnati proper. Put it away for the winter in late november. Then I started making posts again, asking about clubmans, blah blah blah. Anyways, I put clubmans on it, jury rigged the stock foot pegs for my size 13 foot (works ok...), painted it, cleaned off the rust (or so I thought), used some black duct tape on the seat, and have been riding it steadily for almost a month now! Of course, I just finally took some pictures of it today, so here it is!

Comment

nice work. looks better than it did before!

Comment

Comment

last one

She's a rider

That's all I really have for now.
          Couple things:
          The tank was completely stripped, then polished, the a dent was bondo'd, then that graphic was painted to cover the bondo, then the whole tank was clear coated.....just have put a lot more coats on it, but i lost my patience at the time and just put 2 coats on and threw it on the bike. Will now need to go back and get that fresh surface rust off. Most of the clear coat has held up pretty good, so a good second cleaning and like.....5-6 more coats....I think...should do the trick.
          It is totally a work in progress, as I start making more money, I will replace the seat, etc.
          I need to do something about all the rust, but aside from taking the whole thing apart I really have no idea. I thought about just clear coating ALL the hard bits, at least inorder to preserve it as much as possible until I can do something about it.
          And I love the bike, it needs not be anything more than it is right now.

Comment

Get me some measurements from front mount to rear mount of that tank bro. I might have a nice hand beaten cafe tank Id be willing to part with. I'd love to see that bad lil runner in person some day.

Comment

btw

take a look at the crappy rusty allen bolts I bought at Lowe's to replace an overtorqued stock bolt for the master cylinder clamp...they came in a flat black finish....hmm so much for that...took one rain to completely rust over.

Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2008, 01:35 AM. Reason: i spelled torque "torke"...wow

Comment

a couple of neat pics

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Get me some measurements from front mount to rear mount of that tank bro. I might have a nice hand beaten cafe tank Id be willing to part with. I'd love to see that bad lil runner in person some day.
                  ha you're up late too! Well hell yeah I'll get those measurements tomorrow, that sounds great. I was thinknig about making a trip up to dayton some time soon actually; to see a member by the handle of steve who said he could maybe help me with my fork seals...haven't talked to him in a while though so we'll see. I ride all the time, but I need to stretch these legs a bit....my routes around and through Cincinnati are getting a little tired..600 miles this season within the same 30 mile radius....and of course Im doing nothing but "enjoying my time." (read wasting time)

Comment

Originally posted by gerwintown View Post
                    ha you're up late too! Well hell yeah I'll get those measurements tomorrow, that sounds great. I was thinknig about making a trip up to dayton some time soon actually; to see a member by the handle of steve who said he could maybe help me with my fork seals...haven't talked to him in a while though so we'll see. I ride all the time, but I need to stretch these legs a bit....my routes around and through Cincinnati are getting a little tired..600 miles this season within the same 30 mile radius....and of course Im doing nothing but "enjoying my time." (read wasting time)
                    HAH! I'll be at Steves place tomorrow actually helping him with his sons 850G project. He lives about 15 minutes from my place, so if he isnt available (he is always more than willing, and a hell of a guy) I would be happy to help you out as well. Im ALWAYS game for a good wrenching session, and always game for meeting GSrs. And if ya want to go riding sometime, gimmie a shout, Im always up for that too, provided im not working.

I actually spent the weekend down in WV with Steve and his family at a GoldWing rally. MAN what a blast. Some of the most motorcycle perfect roads in existance.

Comment

I've gotta get me over to the States to ride with you guys sometime.

Nice junkyard dog Gerwintown. Just ride and enjoy. That's the 'cafe spirit'.

Comment

A work in progress, but at least you're riding and enjoying it. Part of the journey is working on these things....and making them our own. I like what you've done to it so far.

Comment

She's got character.

Comment

Character .. and nice shootin' too.

Keep them coming.

Comment

I'm jealous that your ridin...mint condition or not she looks good. Try some of the rust inhibitor from your local parts store for the frame. Turns the rust black and is supposed to stop it form spreading. I had a few small spots on my GS and they haven't came back yet from last year.

Good luck and have fun

Comment

Working...
                              X