83 GS550E to GS550ES conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550E to GS550ES conversion

Bought this bike last summer in somewhat rough shape. The paint was horrible and mechanically was okay, but not overly reliable. While it's far from perfect, I'm finally getting it closer to where I want it. I'll feel tons better once I figure out my electrical gremlin, but for now I'm pleased with the progress.

Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

It certainly looks good in yellow! Any plans for the wheels?
      Good luck,
      Ed

Comment

Eventually I want to powdercoat the wheels. I'm thinking black spokes and yellow on the edge of the rim. For now I'm just trying to get the horrid paint job cleaned off of the wheels and get them to bare metal. I'm still new enough at this that I haven't removed the wheels yet, which would make cleaning them up tons easier. But I'm a bit hesitant to on the off chance I mess something up since I don't know the proper technique. Can't afford to pay someone to do it though. I guess it'll just be time to adapt and overcome.

Comment

Looks good so far. I have an 83 GS550E and am still looking for those larger fairings. I would actually like to get my hands on the EF fairings, but can't find the damn things.

Comment

Originally posted by 550ERAT View Post
            Looks good so far. I have an 83 GS550E and am still looking for those larger fairings. I would actually like to get my hands on the EF fairings, but can't find the damn things.
            As luck would have it, I have the lower EF fairing pieces. I was bidding on the whole thing on ebay but some chump swooped in with 10 seconds left and put in a super high bid on the cowling. As it turns out, the ES cowling is not compatible with the EF lower pieces. :?

Comment

550E frame compared to the GR650

Is it just me or does the GS550E frame looks like the GR650 Frame just rounded not squared.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Blueandorangefish View Post
                As luck would have it, I have the lower EF fairing pieces. I was bidding on the whole thing on ebay but some chump swooped in with 10 seconds left and put in a super high bid on the cowling. As it turns out, the ES cowling is not compatible with the EF lower pieces. :?
                Really? I though from how everything looked the ES and EF pieces would fit together. That sucks. When did you get them? And by the lower fairings, do you mean the ones that "wrap" around the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by 550ERAT View Post
                  Really? I though from how everything looked the ES and EF pieces would fit together. That sucks. When did you get them? And by the lower fairings, do you mean the ones that "wrap" around the engine?
                  So, you know the stories some people have about being frustrated cause their bike won't start and after hours of troubleshooting realize the cutoff switch is off?

Well, your post got me to thinking so I did another test fit of the parts. As it turns out, they fit fairly well. My original test fits were very rough and left me with the impression that they wouldn't work. 8-[

Anyway, I'm left with having to fabricate mounting brackets. I've never been able to find a diagram showing how they were attached to the frame. Just another project to add to the list.

Comment

Pretty Shade O' Yaller

on that bike. The yellow accent on the wheels would look good. Any plans on accents, like thin striping or anything, like a second, complimentary shade?

Comment

Eventually. I would like to get everything painted and on the bike, along with getting the bike running first. Then I'll take some photos so I can test different secondary color designs.

Comment

That actually looks like it was originally an ES or EF that the PO removed the fairing on and put a headlight on. Probably because it was wrecked. But nice job restoring her to her glory. ](*,)What is it with you guys and yellow?:-D

Comment

I was told by the PO that it was pieced together from 3 boxes of parts by the PO to him.

I decided to do the wheels in black only.

Buffed out the tank. Yes, there's crazy orange peel, but is was my first paint job ever and I did it super cheap (roller method).

Comment

I started getting the lower faring pieces painted today. Thankfully it was beautiful and 75 degrees outside so the painting went fairly well. I wet sanded w/ 300-some-odd grit then started rolling. Here is two coats so far.

Comment

So it rained all evening, which shot any chance I had of putting another coat of paint on my lower fairings. Instead, I thought I'd see how the whole thing is coming together. For me it's looking close to what I had originally intended, but I think I'd like to add some black striping to it to break up the sheer volume of yellow that assaults your eyes. Any of you painting/artistic guru's have any thoughts or ideas on what direction I should go?

Comment

Working...
                              X