Cafe Racer (GR650 type)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe Racer (GR650 type)

Wanting to make a cafe racer out of my GR650. I got the clubman bars and foam grips(in the mail now). Now I just find my self looking at the a$$end wondering how am I going to do this. Should i cut up the rear frame and move the electric stuff into the airbox? How would I put a cafe racer seat on it? I like the Scud by byrdman. and would like to recreate the back end. Also maybe get some universal rearsets. Any advice on the seat would be helpful.

Rich

Well, thats the thing about a true cafe racer. Its as much about form as it is about function, and vice verse. A true cafe racer has really no frills. There is nothing added or kept on the bike that doesnt make it stop, go, or turn faster. And acheiving this goal is where the true art of the cafe lies. The really really great cafe bikes, IMO, manage to LOOK as amazing as they perform. Now, there are varying opinions on what a cafe racer is. Some are of the opinon that you can take an old bike, modify and install modern performance parts (ie, USD forks, monoshock swingarms, wider wheels, more modern brake systems, etc etc) and its a cafe bike. Im not one to argue, and if thats what thier idea of a cafe racer is, then thats fine. Thats part of the art. Myself, I am one of those who think that THAT type of bike is more a "streetfighter" than a cafe racer. To me, a cafe racer sticks with period performance parts, or nearly so. The most "modern" performance part on MY cafe project is an aluminum boxed swingarm off an early 80s GS1100E. I prefer to make it as vintage as possible.

On my particular project, aside from the swingarm, i have installed a Tarrozzi fork brace, and stripped as much weight off the bike as i possibly could, while still keeping it functional. It is after all, still a street bike, and i have no intentions of running it at a track. So the starter motor, which i could have lost to save a pound or three, is still there. Were it a true race bike, I would have a constant loss system on it, in other words, no stator or rotor, no charging system. The battery only being used for initial start and spark. But again, its a street bike. I did strip the front fender, thats a pound or two. The frame came to me already cut a bit, so I lost a couple pounds there as well. I save quite a few pounds with the alu swingarm over the tube steel one, not to mention the fact that its just a bit stiffer. I have more plans for my project, which include rearsets, as soon as i can figure out a set up that doesnt interfere with my kickstarter arm. Also a 1/4 turn throttle, and eventually I will tuck all the electricals up under the tail. Here's a in progress pic of my project. ALmost done... Some more body work to do, and cover the seat, but she's almost there..

Comment

nice bike, what are you gonna do on the paint side of things, black and white check?
      I mention this because i was driving behind one of the new (retro look) triumph cafe racer last weekend, couldnt see the name, did see an "ace cafe" sticker on the side though.
      thats still being used as a meeting place for people to show their (mainly classic now) cars and bikes. was the same in the 60's. (so i have read, not that old enough to know:-D)
      what pipe is that on the bike, and why the wrap on the downpipes?
      skivit

Comment

Originally posted by skivit View Post
        ............. and why the wrap on the downpipes?
        It's got a headache. LOL

j/k TCK

Comment

I am thinking of buying a long seat pan with a round style tail. But I am also thinking of getting a 2 to 1 exhaust system for it. Hopefully I can start it soon. Color wise i am going to go with a candy grass green with Black/white checkers down the center. So here is the list.

What I got.
          Clubman bars
          Grips
          Tapered Mufflers
          Two dunlop tires

Whats next
          Seat pan
          Rear Sets
          Paint
          Front fairing
          Cat eye tail light (maybe) or a side mount circle tail light.
          Wrapped Exhaust..

So what do you think. When I get the Bars and grips on I will add pics.

Comment

Originally posted by skivit View Post
            nice bike, what are you gonna do on the paint side of things, black and white check?
            I mention this because i was driving behind one of the new (retro look) triumph cafe racer last weekend, couldnt see the name, did see an "ace cafe" sticker on the side though.
            thats still being used as a meeting place for people to show their (mainly classic now) cars and bikes. was the same in the 60's. (so i have read, not that old enough to know:-D)
            what pipe is that on the bike, and why the wrap on the downpipes?
            skivit
            Thanks She's still a ways off from being done body work wise. I am still working on different tanks, but i put some body work on her for the summer, as i just want to get some shakedown runs on her and figure out what needs changed. Dont have any pics b/c it hasnt stopped raining here for days, but i will get some up. Right now, im looking for another set of carbs tho, as the rain, even with the bike covered, got into one of the bodies and locked the slide up. Ive tried everything to free it, including some pretty harsh chemicals, (CLR straight) and it wouldnt budge. So...off to ebay..heh... As far as header wrap goes, there is an actual purpse for it, its designed to help keep exhaust temps up in the pipes to assure propper scavenging and whatnot, but this is not a race bike, so mainly its for looks...lol

Comment

Just got off ebay the following items:

cafe seat
              windshield/fairing.

can't wait to get all this to get going. Just kind of iffy about cutting the frame. I found some people with the GR650 cut the rear supports off and fab there own. I am not going to do that, my seat will just be alittle angled.

Rich

Comment

Nice! Just remember, those of us with ADHD love photos. Lots and lots of photos to oogle over during your project.

Comment

I know, I haven't started yet just waiting for the parts. JC whitney takes a minute if it source out (handle bars). When I get all the things together I will take a ton of pictures.

Originally posted by Blueandorangefish View Post
                  Nice! Just remember, those of us with ADHD love photos. Lots and lots of photos to oogle over during your project.

Comment

Well today off evil bay I ordered a side mount license plate/ tail light bracket. Hopefully I get my handle bars before that. The side mount thing was the cheap one but there is a different light that I want to put on it anyway. I kind of like the old ford model a one but instead of stop, I was thinking of fu on it.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X