Aluminum foil or blue tape??? for custom seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum foil or blue tape??? for custom seat

Hey guys, I read in an old thread here that you can use blue painters tape to cover the styrofoam when you are glassing . It has been recommended to me to use aluminum foil but i having a hard time getting the foil to lay flat and preserve the lines of my seat. Is it reall ok to just use blue painters tape and no foil? thanks

Nevermind. I just wraped it in tape and cling film. Ill put some turtle wax on it before i glass it.

Comment

I tried the foil too, didnt work cause it kept wrinkling. Wasnt worried bout the wrinkles showing in the glass, but was more worried it would get stuck IN the glass. Painters tape and turtle wax worked fantasticly.

Comment

i was going to suggest cling wrap, or saran wrap.

Comment

Haha yeah i wnt with tape and wrap. I think Im gonna either try turtle wax or tri-flow on it to keep it from sticking. Ill post some pic up later tonight. It's not gonna be the best looking seat but I think it'll work for what I have in mind.

Comment

Here's a crappy mock-up

Comment

i have glassed quite a bit and all i have ever used is 3 layers of blue tape....

once the glass hardens you can easily pull the layers of tape apart and no damage is dont to either surface.....

Comment

Something else that works quite well is packing tape. The only down side is that it can be hard to see the areas that you taped because it is so clear once it is attached. Nothing sticks to it though. No wax required.

Comment

based on the title of this i thought you were gonna cover your seat with either blue tape or foil and you wanted our opinions..

hahahaaha

Comment

Haha yeah I guess I still have to decide what I'm goin to upholster the seat with. Can anyone recommend what type of fiberglass I use?

Comment

I just used the stuff i found at AutoZone. Worked great. I did about four layers of matt, then one layer of woven cloth matt, then one more on top of the areas that needed strength. Thing is solid as a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        I just used the stuff i found at AutoZone. Worked great. I did about four layers of matt, then one layer of woven cloth matt, then one more on top of the areas that needed strength. Thing is solid as a rock.

So, did you guys use a quart, or a gallon , or 2 gallons? how much should i buy...???

Comment

If you are glassing over blue foam use epoxy resin. The epoxy will not eat the foam. Poly resin will dissolve the foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
                            If you are glassing over blue foam use epoxy resin. The epoxy will not eat the foam. Poly resin will dissolve the foam.
                            It's also incredibly stronger. Just ask anyone who has made a small wooden boat, canoe, or kayak. I heard that some people use spray Pam as a release agent. Anyone?

Comment

As O C and Pauly mention, if you glass directly over the foam using the epoxy resin you will end up with a really strong form. The only downside is cost as epxoy resin can be 2 to 3 times more expensive than standard f/g resin.

I've built a few seats with this method and it works well. I also think it is easier & quicker than taping over the form or "skinning' it in preparation for the cloth and glass.

Just some more options for you.

Cheers,
                              Spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X