Velcro On Side Covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velcro On Side Covers?

All right, I am slowly working towards making my 1100E a premium ride again. It runs very well, but is extremely cosmetically challenged. One of the problems is the side covers. One has 2 tabs left and the other has none left. It was mentioned in a thread a few days ago to use heavy duty velcro to hold them on. Well, I picked up the velcro and am now looking at the side cover that has no tabs left. I figure I will try it first, since it is already screwed.

1) Where do you attach the velcro? I am thinking of taking a sanding disc on an angle grinder to smooth off the nubs where the tabs used to be and attaching it there. OK or not?

2) How do you prep the side cover? Simply sand smooth, clean violently with brake cleaner, then dish soap?

3) On the frame tabs, do you simply pull the grommets out of the metal brackets and stick the velcro to the metal pieces?

Thanks,
    Mark

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
    All right, I am slowly working towards making my 1100E a premium ride again. It runs very well, but is extremely cosmetically challenged. One of the problems is the side covers. One has 2 tabs left and the other has none left. It was mentioned in a thread a few days ago to use heavy duty velcro to hold them on. Well, I picked up the velcro and am now looking at the side cover that has no tabs left. I figure I will try it first, since it is already screwed.

1) Where do you attach the velcro? I am thinking of taking a sanding disc on an angle grinder to smooth off the nubs where the tabs used to be and attaching it there. OK or not?

2) How do you prep the side cover? Simply sand smooth, clean violently with brake cleaner, then dish soap?

3) On the frame tabs, do you simply pull the grommets out of the metal brackets and stick the velcro to the metal pieces?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Yanno, just a suggestion: Instead of using velcro, i had thought of this idea. Take some sort of wax or putty, something that you can pull apart, peel off whatever. Make a mould of your GOOD tabs on the other one, using the wax or whatever you choose. Then, use two part epoxy to fill the mould. Let it set up. Peel off the wax or whatever, ta da? you have a tab? Then epoxy it to your sidecover.

Incidentally, starting this fall, I am in the midst of creating a little side business with a couple of friends. One of whom is the master glasser for the Miss Budweiser. He knows his stuff. We will be making moulds of, to start off, various GS side covers, tails, etc, and then making them out of glass. They will be lighter than the ABS, and likely about HALF the cost of what new ones are still available. Doesnt help now, but just something to think about in the future. We WILL however, be requesting donations, (temporary) to make the moulds from. I have several pre 80 750 to cast from, and my GS1100G ones as well. Might have some 850 ones as well. But anyone who'd wish to volunteer a spare side cover set to take moulds from would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Yanno, just a suggestion: Instead of using velcro, i had thought of this idea. Take some sort of wax or putty, something that you can pull apart, peel off whatever. Make a mould of your GOOD tabs on the other one, using the wax or whatever you choose. Then, use two part epoxy to fill the mould. Let it set up. Peel off the wax or whatever, ta da? you have a tab? Then epoxy it to your sidecover.
      I have seen people recommend Plastek as a material for molding the tabs, but I want to eliminate the tabs altogether. The whole concept is pretty poor and almost guaranteed to have broken tabs. There are a couple blobs on there already where a PO attempted to epoxy the tabs back on, unsuccessfully.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

Incidentally, starting this fall, I am in the midst of creating a little side business with a couple of friends. One of whom is the master glasser for the Miss Budweiser. He knows his stuff. We will be making moulds of, to start off, various GS side covers, tails, etc, and then making them out of glass. They will be lighter than the ABS, and likely about HALF the cost of what new ones are still available. Doesnt help now, but just something to think about in the future. We WILL however, be requesting donations, (temporary) to make the moulds from. I have several pre 80 750 to cast from, and my GS1100G ones as well. Might have some 850 ones as well. But anyone who'd wish to volunteer a spare side cover set to take moulds from would be appreciated.
        If you guys are very serious about doing this and can do semi complex shapes I'll donate as many 83 - 85 GS550 side covers as I can find floating about my house... the left sides are impossible to find non-damaged... drop me a PM.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I would be willing to donate my left side 80-82 750E side cover for the cause. I no longer have the right side due to it blowing off while riding (two days after it was freshly painted).

Comment

Mark'

I use the adhesive backed velcro on my older covers, some with one tab missing some with two.

Cleaning the plastic is a good start. I just use Isopropol alcohol. Grinding the botoms of the old tabs flat is a good idea also as long as you never want to go back to an epoxy solution.

Black velcro is less visible against the frame.

It important to remember to apply the velcro to the covers so that it will be in shear as opposed to being in an orientation that puts it into peel. I'll try to take some photos tonight to show you what I mean however, the stuff is cheap and can be removed easily so don't be afraid to experiment.

Velcro has two components, the hook and the loop or pile. The pile has the softer less abrasive texture. I usually put the hook portion on the frame and the pile on the cover. The part that you put on the frame should adhere and last almost indefinitely.

For broken tabs on the top of the side covers I just put a piece over the top of the horizontal frame tube that is just below the seat. For the lower front tab, I usually put the velcro on the edge of the mounting stand which faces forward (not the front face that the grommet is mounted in ) I usually make these about 2" wide.

The side covers have about a 1.5" lip that goes full circumference around the cover and gives it its 3D shape.

On the covers I use 1" wide velcro and start on the back side of the face of the main body before the broken mounting tab, then run it around the corner with it attached to the back side cover's lip. Cut the velcro about 4" beyond the edge of the lip (it will just be sticking out in space for a minute). Then take two inches of the 4" of velcro extending beyond the lip (minus its release paper) and fold it back on itself (sticking it together) to make an extended tab that's approx 2" long. You fold it back on itself so the tab's adhesive won't stick to anything.

I know its hard to follow my discription above, so I'll try to get you some shots and you'll understand better. It really pretty simple. I've never had one come off at speed. I usually put what ever tabs are left on first, then apply the velcro replacement tabs to finish putting the covers on.

Besides my normal 10 hour work day, I'm in the middle of changing the fork seals on the FZ1 so it make take a day.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
              I know its hard to follow my discription above, so I'll try to get you some shots and you'll understand better. It really pretty simple. I've never had one come off at speed. I usually put what ever tabs are left on first, then apply the velcro replacement tabs to finish putting the covers on.

Besides my normal 10 hour work day, I'm in the middle of changing the fork seals on the FZ1 so it make take a day.
              You're right, I will need some pics...

No hurry at the moment, it is a long term project and we have had nothing but rain for a couple of weeks now with more to come... All my bikes are rotting in the garage waiting to see the sun again.

Thanks,
              Mark

Comment

Mark

Sorry for delay. Got my FZ1 fork seals replaced then forgot my photobucket password.

Pic of side cover off

Pic from top with cover installed

another view from top, note velcro tab from cover wrapping over velcro on frame rail

Comment

Velcro applied to front facing side of mounting stand on frame

Velcro applied to back side of cover. I used the two inch wide velcro but you could use two pieces of one inch wide also. What looks like old tape under the black velcro is actually a two sided tape product from 3M called VHB Tape or "Very high bond". You don't really need it but it does increase the adhesion to put it down first. Not sure where you would find it retail, we use it where I work. I haven't used this cover in a season or two so the velcro is starting to lift on the front tab. Again its cheap so just rip it up and put some more down

Took this photo to show you what I meant about wrapping velcro over on itself to make an extended tab that won't stick to anything other than corresponding velcro

Comment

One last pic (a little dark) of velcro tab from sid cover peeled back from velcro mounted to frame. The black velcro hides well on the framee.

Questions?

Comment

I use little zip ties through the top tabs and around the frame for added piece of mind, but I do still have the tabs.

This saved my cover a few weeks ago when a fresh epoxy hadn't cured enough and gave way.

Comment

This is sad. I’m fortunate to have all my tabs on the side covers. When I take them off I treat them line gold. I hope Velcro will never be a viable repair option for me. There must be a better way.

Comment

Gotta agree that it sucks getting old.

Keep them grommets lubed and you'll delay the Heart Ache of Broken Tabs

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post

Questions?
                            Nope, makes perfect sense with the pics.

Thanks,
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by StrtLegal View Post
                              I would be willing to donate my left side 80-82 750E side cover for the cause. I no longer have the right side due to it blowing off while riding (two days after it was freshly painted).

Old school trick to stop em falling off is to drill a hole in the nubs...put em in, then put a splitter pin through

used to be done to stop people nicking em to (people take em cus thiers flew off)

Mine have broken nubs, will figure something out...more worried about my seat not hooking in ! **bugger**

Comment

Working...
                              X