Scratched chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratched chrome

I've got a few chrome pieces on my bike with some scratches from my accident. Can I take 2000 grit sandpaper to them and then follow up with Mother's? I'm talking about the back of my speedo and my valve end caps.

Thanks,
    /Mike

or mebby rubbing compound and/or a buffer wheel

Comment

I've been using polishing compound and it's taken some of the scratches away, but not all. I just don't want to permanently damage or dull it, you know?

Comment

Is that actually a chrome-plated piece or is it polished stainless?

If it's chrome, and you hit it with sandpaper, even 2000-grit, you will take off the chrome. A buffing wheel will keep most of the polish, but won't smooth out deep scratches.

One trick I have used is to rub the area with a wad of aluminum foil. Removes rust without damaging the chrome, but again, won't take out scratches.

I just looked at Bike Bandit, both of those covers are apparently available for about $33 each.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Is that actually a chrome-plated piece or is it polished stainless?

If it's chrome, and you hit it with sandpaper, even 2000-grit, you will take off the chrome. A buffing wheel will keep most of the polish, but won't smooth out deep scratches.

One trick I have used is to rub the area with a wad of aluminum foil. Removes rust without damaging the chrome, but again, won't take out scratches.

I just looked at Bike Bandit, both of those covers are apparently available for about $33 each.

OK. Glad I didn't sand first and ask questions later.

Comment

Mike,
            I may be ordering new chrome pieces for my gauges. If I do, I would be happy to give you my old ones.
            2010 Honda VFR1200F
            1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
            Being Revisited
            1981 Honda CM400T
            http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
              Mike,
              I may be ordering new chrome pieces for my gauges. If I do, I would be happy to give you my old ones.
              You're a madman. Thank you.

By the way, that 450 fender did fit, sort of. It's certainly not meant to be there, but it's there now. Looks kind of cool a bit smaller, actually.

Comment

You could always do what I did on the skunk... sand them & then hit them with some PJ1 black case paint....

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

After stripping a couple bikes from last years junkyard run, I've found that the gauge covers, the starter cover and a couple of other small pieces are actually polished stainless. Take some toothpaste and sprinkle baking soda in it. Polish. Rinse. Do it again without the baking soda. Should be even smoother than metal polish. I also noticed at the Zone last weekend that someone has come out with different polishes for different metals, initially for wheels, but metal is metal! Except, of course, Megadeth......

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                    After stripping a couple bikes from last years junkyard run, I've found that the gauge covers, the starter cover and a couple of other small pieces are actually polished stainless. Take some toothpaste and sprinkle baking soda in it. Polish. Rinse. Do it again without the baking soda. Should be even smoother than metal polish. I also noticed at the Zone last weekend that someone has come out with different polishes for different metals, initially for wheels, but metal is metal! Except, of course, Megadeth......

HAHA! I like that..good one Pauly (thats a smiley there, in case the site is still screwing up)

Comment

I have been having really good luck with the

Buffing wheel on a stand up grinder. Using green roush, I just did my chrome handlebars and they look almost better than new. The finish takes on a deeper chrome look than normal factory chrome finish.

I think you would have to work at cutting through the chrome layer, but I guess it is possible.

I also did my chrome fork tubes and I got rid of the factory finish (imperfections) and now they are virtually perfect chromed (except for a few small pits that also got smoother out).

When I redo the megaphones on my GS750 I will use the buffer on some scratches I had figured I would have to rechrome.

Bottom, line you can do a pretty nice job sprucing up old chrome with a buffing wheel and roush and the difference in finish (better than new) are well worth the effort if there is some chrome left to polish.

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
                      X