Tank shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank shapes

I'm wondering who on the forum really likes the squarish, boxy early 80's tank on modified bikes, or if anyone else thinks tanks sholud be curvaceous and -well-"sexy"? I found a couple older non Zook tanks on ebay late late lastyear, and was going to fit one onto my sond 450 when I modified it. Stoopid me didn't realize that the frame we mocked up last Christmas day was different than his 450, and the tank I put so much work into wouldn't fit over the coils. I also have an older, more curvy Honda tank that I'm planning on putting on my bike when I modify it.
    Any idea, comments? The newer (late 80's and up) tanks that look like they should be in a chemical lab setting totally turn me off, but then again, I am old.

I definitly don't like the squire tanks. That why I decieded to try and make my own.

Comment

I love the squarish look. I like cafe-ish squared-offed tanks.

Comment

i think it depends upon the style of bike. on my 78 GS 1000, i love the rounded curvy tank, but on my upcoming project, a single cylinder cafe, ill defiantly be using a square, boxy, knee dented tank.

Comment

that should be an interesting tank project.....

i'd like to see how it comes out

Comment

Yeah, tanks definitely fit a look, while creating it at the same time. It's kinda like the old coffin tank. Definitely a CLASSIC with a certain following, but ugly as hell without the right attitude from the rest of the bike. Certainly wouldn'd look good on a cafe, or a bobber. I think a lot of people that try to turn their bikes into bobbers or choppers need to address the original tank and either get one with more curves, or find a way to downplay the boxiness of it.

Comment

Working...
            X