Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to polish old engine sidecovers any ideas??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to polish old engine sidecovers any ideas??????

I hope someone has the answere to my question other wise my friend has voluntarily submited his request to polish my sidecovers for a case of corona. He took the clutch cover in another room and came back out five minutes later and showed me a spot on the cover he worked on. And it looked new and shineythere was no blemishes at all on the area he worked on and this cover sat outside in a junkyard for years. And he wont give up his secret. Any help would be appreciated so I can save the corona for myself LOL.

Originally posted by gs650gman View Post
    I hope someone has the answere to my question other wise my friend has voluntarily submited his request to polish my sidecovers for a case of corona. He took the clutch cover in another room and came back out five minutes later and showed me a spot on the cover he worked on. And it looked new and shineythere was no blemishes at all on the area he worked on and this cover sat outside in a junkyard for years. And he wont give up his secret. Any help would be appreciated so I can save the corona for myself LOL.
    polishing compound and buff buff buff. if they're not pitted try mothers mag polish and a power buffer.

Comment

he is willing to polish all your cases for a case of beer

anyone so willing to take advantage of themselves should not be stopped

polishing usually entails stirrping the clear coat and wet sanding for badly corroded cases then buffing on a wheel with sevral grades of buffign compound

it take a long time and well good heavens for a case of beer I would buy two and drink and watch while he did it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
        he is willing to polish all your cases for a case of beer

anyone so willing to take advantage of themselves should not be stopped

polishing usually entails stirrping the clear coat and wet sanding for badly corroded cases then buffing on a wheel with sevral grades of buffign compound

it take a long time and well good heavens for a case of beer I would buy two and drink and watch while he did it for you.
        yeah what you said.......all though if the clear coat is gone I have had good luck using the turtle wax products(rubbing compond them poshing compond) but it is a lot of very messy/dirty work. Let him do it!! If he's buying everything but the beer your coming out WAY ahead. I'm sure he'll even share the beer with you . Although if the clear coat is fully intact you can just wetsand with 2000 grit and polish and wax. if the clear coat is broken you will need to remove the rest of it and do above.

You know polishing without beer and a buddy is like fishing without beer and a buddy. Thats a win win for you.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2008, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Best way to polish sidecovers, A case of beer LOL

Most of the clearcoat is gone and what ever he did was done by hand so im not sure what his secret is. Ive got sometime before I hand the project off to him as im still looking for a leftside engine cover

Comment

Most of the clearcoat is gone and what ever he did was done by hand so im not sure what his secret is. Ive got sometime before I hand the project off to him as im still looking for a leftside engine cover
            go buy you a small can of mothers mag polish and hit the raw alm. with it and a clean rag see what happens.

Comment

case of beer route is still better option

will work for beer

man beer!
              the opiate of the masses.

Comment

Yeah, And Corona Isn't Even Great Beer!

As an expatriate of the great city of El Paso, I can tell you that Corona is the Iron city beer of Mexico. Yeah, really. It's no big thing, and if he's really a BUDDY of yours, why stiff him?

Comment

will he polish my engine covers for a case of beer?

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                    will he polish my engine covers for a case of beer?
                    prob. get the whole bike done for a keg!!

Comment

It's only Corona, so if he wants to drink it, I would give him the beer to save myself the grief of polishing them myself.

Comment

It's a lot easier to make one little spot look good as opposed to making an entire piece look good. If he's willing to do the work for a case of beer, go for it. It took me HOURS of sanding and polishing to get the results I did on my bike. Just make sure you are happy with his results.
                        Last edited by renobruce; 06-17-2008, 11:45 PM.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

A case of Corona and two $ 10.00 cigars

I felt bad about just the Corona after brought me one of the covers back it was awsome so I threw in two $ 10.00 cigars of his choice

Comment

I felt bad about just the Corona after brought me one of the covers back it was awsome so I threw in two $ 10.00 cigars of his choice
                            Got pics??
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Me brother is doing me polishing...for enormous amount of beer!:grin:
                              McLoud
                              '79 GS850
                              `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                              sigpic
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                              X