Switchgear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switchgear?

What does everybody do to restore/replace their switchgear? My 1100E looks like it lived its entire life outside before I got it and all the plastic is an unpleasant shade of grey and the black coating on the bars has been bleached off by UV.

I would like to use new switchgear from a current sportbike (GSXR, of course); it looks better, has new electricals in it and push to cancel turn signals. But I am unexcited about splicing and dicing my wiring loom to mate up to an unknown switch setup.

Any ideas, help, experiences welcome.

Thanks,
    Mark

I replaced on on my GS300L from a late model GSXR (cause it was cheap on ebay) and I cut the old plug off the bad switch .. and the new plug off the new switch. Doing that the rest of the wire harness was left intact.

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
    What does everybody do to restore/replace their switchgear? My 1100E looks like it lived its entire life outside before I got it and all the plastic is an unpleasant shade of grey and the black coating on the bars has been bleached off by UV.

I would like to use new switchgear from a current sportbike (GSXR, of course); it looks better, has new electricals in it and push to cancel turn signals. But I am unexcited about splicing and dicing my wiring loom to mate up to an unknown switch setup.

Any ideas, help, experiences welcome.

Thanks,
    Mark

Comment

i stripped my standard ally switchgear and polished them. then painted in the letters.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I bought new standard ones cause I'm weird like that.Cheers,Simon.
        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          i stripped my standard ally switchgear and polished them. then painted in the letters.

Same here. Also, you can disassemble all of the switches (carefully) and clean all of the contacts. Now, my only issue is that I ditched the self canceling turn signal circuit but I still have the switch. So I have to hold it until I complete a turn.

Comment

I was able to mount early '90's GSXR switches on my 1100 with minimal fuss. Push to cancel turn signals are far safer than hunting around for the off position while riding in traffic. As for the right hand switch, the GSXR throttle cable is smaller than the GS so I drilled it out and tried to tap a new set of threads. It didn't go so well and I now use siclicone to hold the throttle cable in place. It works but in retrospect I would have been better off swapping throttle cables.

Comment

Working...
            X