Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing from mags to spokes on my '82 GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spacers will likely need to be changed, but its not a thing to slap spokes on these GSs.

Now, on the debate. Spokes ARE lighter than the early mags. By quite a bit. I have both in my basement, i know this for a fact. They changed to mags, because they are easier to maintain.

Comment

And of course the rear wheel bearings are different - spindle hole on the rear is larger on 1000 so you'd have to fit 1000 rear bearings. Fronts are the same but they're cheap anyway.

Spoked wheels were probably more expensive to make as well. (Especially if you're the world's slowest wheelright like me - jeez, a fulltime wheelwright makes it look so easy!).
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

personally i think spokes look so outdated. if you really wanted to change your wheels go for a set of newer updated suzuki wheels. gsxr or sommat like that are quite easy to adapt and will be lighter than the originals, and spokes. would have more tyre choices too.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          personally i think spokes look so outdated.
          And some think they look...Classic!

If only....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

personal preference i guess. why make a new bike look 30 years old?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

...why make a new bike look 30 years old?
              Retro stuff has always been popular...and always will be...
              Us old farts sometimes have good memories of past times...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

personal preference i guess. why make a new bike look 30 years old?
                For my 26 year old bike?

Style is style for a reason, not everyone likes it. I could care less what the weight difference is either way, I want spokes. If I was that obsessed with weight, I would have bought a newer sport bike.

...and thanks for the additional pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Seal View Post
                  For my 26 year old bike?

Style is style for a reason, not everyone likes it. I could care less what the weight difference is either way, I want spokes. If I was that obsessed with weight, I would have bought a newer sport bike.

...and thanks for the additional pointers.
                  wasnt commenting on your bike, the new bike pic that was posted. hey mate if you want spokes and thats your prefered style then go for it. if i wanted spokes though i would go for something modern, alloy rims etc. akront or similar. make it look retro but with up to date equipment, just my opinion
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

wasnt commenting on your bike, the new bike pic that was posted. hey mate if you want spokes and thats your prefered style then go for it. if i wanted spokes though i would go for something modern, alloy rims etc. akront or similar. make it look retro but with up to date equipment, just my opinion
                    Agree.

I rode a TriBSA back in the day - spokes, drum brakes, the TT100 tire was a revolution......

Absolute PITA and damn dangerous.

Bugger that

Comment

I live in MN as well and have a pair of spoke rims in mint condition ... I would be interested in a swap given the condition of your mags. They would be off my 82 450 ... so the front would work for sure, the rear may have a diff drum set up ... not sure?

Send me a personal message if interested.

Regards,
                      B

Comment

Originally posted by bdub416 View Post
                        I live in MN as well and have a pair of spoke rims in mint condition ... I would be interested in a swap given the condition of your mags. They would be off my 82 450 ... so the front would work for sure, the rear may have a diff drum set up ... not sure?

Send me a personal message if interested.

Regards,
                        B
                        Depending on WHICH 82 750 (did they make a T in 82? If so it had a drum) it is he is trying to swap to spokes on, its VERY likely unless as said, its a T, that it DOESNT have a drum brake in the rear.

Comment

i bet a 1975 GT500 would be drum, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                            i bet a 1975 GT500 would be drum, wouldn't it?
                            Likely so.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                              Agree.

I rode a TriBSA back in the day - spokes, drum brakes, the TT100 tire was a revolution......

Absolute PITA and damn dangerous.

Bugger that
                              My Beezer ain't dangerous. Sure it won't stop as quick with drums and it wobbles a bit on fast bumpy bits. You just learn how it's gonna react and ride with it and it gets caned regularly - it'll do the ton (well somewhere between 80-120 as the speedo wobbles a bit as well:-)). If you want dangerous, ride my mate's New Hudson - no brakes whatsoever. They awarded him his MOT for being brave enough to ride it there!

Actually twin leading shoes, if set up right, can be damn good brakes, certainly the equal of early disc brakes (better in the wet by miles). And a nicely set up spoke wheel won't flex either.

Personally, from a style point of view, I 'd stick to the type of wheels that were meant for a bike of that year, the only exception being for something heavily modded, especially a cafe racer.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Verdict is in on the front.

Front wheel with tire and wheel bearings. No rotors, axle or anything else.
                                Enkei mag and old worn tire: 21 lbs.
                                '77 GS750 spokes with almost new tire: 19.5ish lbs.
                                Obviously some weight irregularities with tires involved, but it's at least very clear that the spokes definitely are not heavier than mags.

Swapped it directly over, looks fantastic.

Hopefully will be doing the rear later this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X