Oil rust who knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil rust who knows

I've been wanting to clean my bike but I have no idea where to start. I'm a little apprehensive to taking the gun-ho clean the hell out of it approach because frankly I don't know what I'm doing. I'd just like to give it a little shine a possibly get all the grease buildup off the sides of the engine. Also, the exhaust pipes are rusty at the beginning of the unit was wondering if I could sand it off would that do any damage???

Tips suggestion everything appreciated

I take my bike to the local coin car wash once a year (usually just before putting it away for winter), and use a spray-can of 'Gunk' on a the warm (not hot!) engine....a soft paint brush and a toothbrush works well to get the stubborn stuff off. Not sure how dirty your engine is....may need a bit more effort. Some here have used 'Simple Green' with good results too. I avoid using the 'high pressure' trigger around sensitive areas, while rinsing off the Gunk....normal line pressure is usually enough. I have virtually no chrome on the bike, but I imagine one of the metal polishes available will work well on the pipes, if the rust is only surface.

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Maybe try some chrome polish on them there pipes.
      I wash my bikes like I wash my cars. Hose it down,
      wash with soapy sponge, rinse with said hose, and
      dry. On my GS850, I cover the pods with Zip-Lock
      Bags. In the places that can't be towel dried, I use
      compressed air to blow the water out.

Comment

The last time I had my engine out of my frame I cleaned it with diesel fuel (back when it was under $3 a gallon) and followed it up with simple green. It left the engine squeaky clean.

Comment

Originally posted by nortins View Post
          Also, the exhaust pipes are rusty at the beginning of the unit was wondering if I could sand it off would that do any damage???

Tips suggestion everything appreciated
          NO sanding the pipes please, chrome cleaner, possibly with 0000 steel wool.
          sanding removes the chrome.

Tips? ask, learn all you can, think, be careful/cautious, get faster/ better at it, be open to other methods, become an expert, help/teach others...
          Last edited by rustybronco; 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

i have used aluminum foil on chrome before works petty good. take enough to rap around the pipe and move like sanding will take off the surfice rust then polish with a good chrome polish.

Comment

Working...
            X