DIY trunk and hard bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY trunk and hard bags

I just saw a picture Basscliff posted of his bike, and that trunk looks great. But it also looks like a plain old vintage Samsonite suitcase in black.

I've been thinking of trolling the local thrift stores - even though hard luggage for our bikes fetches top dollar, hard suitcases of the same vintage are a dime a dozen. So has anyone tried and failed or tried and succeeded yet, or will I be the first?

Bonus points for pictures!

BTW, Cliff, if you read this, how wide is that case?

Comment

im interested in seeing what people have cobbled up also....

i want a way to haul some stuff some day too....

Comment

What Basscliff has is Samsonite motorcycle luggage, no longer manufactured. For a top box all you really need to do is put a luggage rack on the back and bolt down whatever container works for you. We have a member on the forum who used a Coleman ice chest a few years ago.

Side bags are more difficult because you need something to secure them to. Getting bracketry that fits your bike is the reason most people pay extra money for motorcycle specific saddlebags rather than adapting something else. If you are handy with a welder, you would be a little ahead in that game.

If I was starting from scratch and wanted to get out with the lowest bucks I think I would get one of the Givi knock-off boxes from JC Whitney for the back and keep an eye out for a super deal on some soft saddlebags at New Enough or one of the other online retailers.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Hi Mr. Roostabunny,

The Samsonite hard bags have a triangle-shaped bottom to fit into the triangle-shaped mounting hardware. They are held in place with a pressure bolt.

I wish I had the side mounts. Those cases are 16", maybe 18" wide. I'll measure when I get home if you like.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I put two ammunition boxes on the sides of my 850. I went to a army surplus store and bought two large ammo boxes and painted them silver. I made all the brackets out of 1/8 X 1 flatbar. sorry no pics yet but I also put a couple led flat mount turn signals on them. I really like that they are military grade because if I wipe out whatever is in them will survive. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Mr. Roostabunny,

The Samsonite hard bags have a triangle-shaped bottom to fit into the triangle-shaped mounting hardware. They are held in place with a pressure bolt.

I wish I had the side mounts. Those cases are 16", maybe 18" wide. I'll measure when I get home if you like.
              That's awesome, Cliff, thanks. Yeah I'm interested on the overall width - at your convenience. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by flatblack850L View Post
                I put two ammunition boxes on the sides of my 850. I went to a army surplus store and bought two large ammo boxes and painted them silver. I made all the brackets out of 1/8 X 1 flatbar. sorry no pics yet but I also put a couple led flat mount turn signals on them. I really like that they are military grade because if I wipe out whatever is in them will survive. LOL.
                That sounds cool. I don't know if you're into them, but it sounds like the type you see on those adventure bikes. Love to see some pics when you get some - especially the brackets you made.

Comment

Last year at my rally, Roland gave me two nice nylon cases that came to the media department where he works holding camera/video equipment and they look like mini-suitcases. Yesterday, I spent some time with the bike figuring out different mounting ideas. They're about the size of saddlebags (14x11x6), so that was the first thought, to do throw over straps attached to the metal rings that holds the handles to them, then strap the two bags together from the back of the bike with another strap attached to the side rings (designed for a shoulder strap) across the back of the bike to keep them from flapping. However, I was afraid they were just a little too tall in height and the pipes would melt them, or that the rubber on the feet of the cases would gunk up the pretty pipes upon melting. It was hard to get them high enough to where they sat properly. I have a rear rack, so I ended up playing with the two bags on that, and I think now I'd prefer to strap the two bags to the sissy bar (which I was going to remove because I won't have passengers, but I'm seeing how much it's giving me carry space options) on top of the rack, while my massive, $50 leather sissy bar bag that holds TONS of crap sits pillion attached to the bar, then I can strap on saddle bags or my hard bags (less temporary) if I want.

I didn't take pics when I was fiddling but next time I will. The two media cases are very nice looking and probably equal more space than the Samsonite while being less bulky. Combined with the sissy bar bag, I can't see ever traveling without my rain gear and other conveniences unless I know I'm going to get groceries or something else that will take up a lot of room.

I didn't take pics the other day when I fiddled, but I will next time. I'm looking at different ways to maximize my storage options in a way that is very "quick change" or easy on and off. The rack and tall sissy bar are exp[anding my options... just have to be really limber to clear the bar and the tall seat! As a long time thrift store troller myself, I am sure you could find all sorts of cool options at them, and also, as mentioned, military surplus stores.

Comment

Cheap Hard Cases!

Well there you have it, around 4hours of time, $75 of supplies including boxes and I can have my most valuable possessions in these military grade cases. Well? oops! They don't lock mind you, but I bet they would survive a pretty nasty wipeout!

Comment

Well there you have it, around 4hours of time, $75 of supplies including boxes and I can have my most valuable possessions in these military grade cases. Well? oops! They don't lock mind you, but I bet they would survive a pretty nasty wipeout!
                      Holy moly, those are great. I'm most impressed, and thanks for the pics.

They look bigger than I thought for ammo boxes. You got me thinking about locks and/or remove-ability. Hmmm.

This is awesome, thanks!

This looks tough to beat, but anyone else tried something different? I started looking for reasonable hard cases at the thrift store and I'm optimistic, but nothing yet.

Comment

Those are BIG ammo boxes =] I'm sure there are smaller boxes available as well. I think theyre cool! Nicely done

Comment

Please, no more compliments! My head will explode!

Comment

Please, no more compliments! My head will explode!
                            Can we get some "after" photos of your head? 'Cuz that's some nice photo editing there. (Gesundheit!) Very nice utilitarian boxes too....
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Loved my "cooler" trunk! used it on my GS550L for over a decade! it was great to have such a large storage container on the bike, and especially when i had stuff to keep cool it was already setup for the job! We often do with what we have laying around - if I had to do it again I would choose a cooler that already had a hinged top, though! If I find the old pics I'll post them...

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X