Rusty Seat Pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Seat Pans

Got a big shock yesterday-checking over my seat cover I turned it over and looked at the pan-Rusted through in one corner! I never thought this would be an issue, but doing a search, it sounds like a common older GS problem (mine is an '81). I saw the repairs suggested and will do them this fall, but has anyone figured out how to stop the problem? The only thing I can think of is removing the seat and taking it indoors with me every time Ipark it, like a bicycle wheel ...

Replacement seat pans are as scarce as chicken lips, so a protection program should be in place!

half of my old one was rusted away, so i took it and stripped it down, then glassed it over and just replaced what was missing with fiberglass...

never have to worry about rust again.....lol

i win

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
      half of my old one was rusted away, so i took it and stripped it down, then glassed it over and just replaced what was missing with fiberglass...

never have to worry about rust again.....lol

i win
      So you don't think the remaining metal in the seat pan will continue to rust?

Comment

well without stripping the rust off, and sealing it somehow, yes it will continue to rust away

you can take a wire brush to it and get it down to bare metal, then just use some rattle can paint on it to seal it up

that will at least provide some protection for you for a while

Comment

Seat pan is a good candidate for cleaning by electrolysis.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I used the old pan as a mould to make a new one from fibreglass. I then removed all the hardware (hinges, rubber bump stops etc) and used pop rivets to hold it all together. Mine will definitely never rust again.

BTW - the reason they usually rust is that water gets through the cover and then sits in the foam. The water usually gets in through the stitching. If you treat the metal pan with 'killrust' type paint (phosphorus based) & use a single piece of material for the cover (no stitching) the problem shouldn't recur.

I'm not sure if you can get killrust in the US but you get the idea. POR15 is even better but very expensive. There are dozens of anti-rust paints on the market.

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
              I used the old pan as a mould to make a new one from fibreglass. I then removed all the hardware (hinges, rubber bump stops etc) and used pop rivets to hold it all together. Mine will definitely never rust again.

BTW - the reason they usually rust is that water gets through the cover and then sits in the foam. The water usually gets in through the stitching. If you treat the metal pan with 'killrust' type paint (phosphorus based) & use a single piece of material for the cover (no stitching) the problem shouldn't recur.

I'm not sure if you can get killrust in the US but you get the idea. POR15 is even better but very expensive. There are dozens of anti-rust paints on the market.
              Zooks, that's good information. When you made the fiberglass replica seat pan did you take any photos? That info would be useful on this forum I would think. Also, there is an anti rust paint, Tremclad, that we get in Canada, probably similar to Killrust. The pan has gotten a liberal treatment of it today and will get more in the fall when I take the seat apart.

Comment

tremclad is the equivalant of rustoleum....

its made by the same guys, and even looks the same on the label....

same exact paint

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                  I used the old pan as a mould to make a new one from fibreglass. I then removed all the hardware (hinges, rubber bump stops etc) and used pop rivets to hold it all together.
                  zooks, what holds the cover material in place?
                  any pics?

my metal pan has these "spikes" from the inside/underneath the pan that you pierce the cover material with and then fold them to secure them
                  GS850GT

Comment

I removed the seatcover and foam, had it sandblasted and had the rusted parts cut out and new welded in then had it powdercoated. It looks like new and hopefully will not rust again.

Comment

I did take lots of pics and intended to make a sort of 'how to' guide. I never found the time (and am not all that good at computer 'pic' stuff). I'm good with words (I love english) but not with computer graphics etc.

As far as the seat cover - I didn't bother with clips for the cover - I just used upholstery adhesive (contact cement). I'll see if I can get the photos onto my photobucket page in the next day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        zooks, what holds the cover material in place?
                        any pics?

my metal pan has these "spikes" from the inside/underneath the pan that you pierce the cover material with and then fold them to secure them
                        Yes, and these spikes rust as well! Some of mine are missing now. I fastened the seat cover back down with contact cement for the season. Come fall I'll disassemble the seat and do a more thorough repair, including cutting out rusted areas and getting replacement metal welded in. Then, a thorough protectant coating. Zooks mentioned POR15 and the website www.canada-por15.com (or US, www.marine-paint.com) is interesting.

As for protection against future deterioration I'm considering a rain cover of some kind as well as silicone on all the seams.

Comment

Working...
                        X