2-part spray can clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-part spray can clearcoat

I have a gas tank with original paint in pretty good shape, except that today while buying some gear the clearcoat in a ring around the mouth delaminated. :-?:-?:-? The motorcycle gods could see I was solving a problem so they had to give me another.
    It was under my tank bag, which is on the bike almost all the time. The last time I filled it up was last night, so it wasn't wet when it happened, but maybe enough gas spills wore it down.

Is it a bad idea to mask off the unaffected areas and try the spraymax 2-part spray can clearcoat? I won't be able to spray regular 2-part clearcoat for another 1 1/2 months and I have a lot of riding to do between now and then ... I am away from my garage for the summer.

Originally posted by p_s View Post
    I have a gas tank with original paint in pretty good shape, except that today while buying some gear the clearcoat in a ring around the mouth delaminated. :-?:-?:-? The motorcycle gods could see I was solving a problem so they had to give me another.
    It was under my tank bag, which is on the bike almost all the time. The last time I filled it up was last night, so it wasn't wet when it happened, but maybe enough gas spills wore it down.

Is it a bad idea to mask off the unaffected areas and try the spraymax 2-part spray can clearcoat? I won't be able to spray regular 2-part clearcoat for another 1 1/2 months and I have a lot of riding to do between now and then ... I am away from my garage for the summer.
    I went through this about a month ago. So I emailed the "2 part spray paint company" they told me I should use a good professional urathane on the gas tank. Sorry??!!. but thats what I was told directly from the company. I ended up using a dupont product and it is holding up well. So far.
    check out this post it has alot of good info and was really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by buttonhook View Post
      I went through this about a month ago. So I emailed the "2 part spray paint company" they told me I should use a good professional urathane on the gas tank. Sorry??!!. but thats what I was told directly from the company. I ended up using a dupont product and it is holding up well. So far.
      check out this post it has alot of good info and was really helpful.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=126301
      Yeah not really what I wanted to hear. But I have two options:
      -patch up the clearcoat with this spray can now
      -leave it as is for another month and a half and many tanks of gas

I still think option one is better. If it only lasts 4 months, fine, then I'll use some real paint. I was just seeing if anyone had any really awful experiences with trying this stuff, since paint is supposed to be used as a "system".

Comment

Why not put the tank bag back on and forget about it until you have time to do it right?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Some of the auto supply/paint supply stores and or artist supply stores and the sign making stores have clear plastic or vinyl materials that you could use as a temp fix. They are easy enough to apply and will stay in place until you want them off. Something like this would stop the existing clear coat from delaminating and would protect from the odd gas spill.

Sorry don't have any trade names to offer but there are several types of products out there. Ask around.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
          Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Why not put the tank bag back on and forget about it until you have time to do it right?
            Maybe you're right. I guess I'm just afraid that it'll keep spreading and get much worse, especially if I spill any more gas on it. I already ordered the two-part spray can, so I might as well try it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I'm with him.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                I'm with him.
                Okay, okay. I cancelled the order. I'll wait. It'll **** me off a little each time I see it though until I can do it right. Would a dealer know what kind of clearcoat is compatible?

Comment

A good body shop will be able to tell what patina was on the bike originally. I'm not sure when bikes switched over to enamal vs laquer.

Usuaully when one part of the paint system starts to lift, the rest will start to show its age in due time. I would just wait and either spray it yourself when you get back or have a body shop strip it and start fresh.

It's hard not to get dirt and fuzzies in your paint in the garage, even with a full body suit and a wet floor.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                    Usuaully when one part of the paint system starts to lift, the rest will start to show its age in due time. I would just wait and either spray it yourself when you get back or have a body shop strip it and start fresh.
                    The tank was actually NOS when I got the bike last October. Well, it'd had a little use, but not much, and was stored in a nice garage. I think the tank bag was maybe trapping spilled gas or gas vapors.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                      Yeah not really what I wanted to hear. But I have two options:
                      -patch up the clearcoat with this spray can now
                      -leave it as is for another month and a half and many tanks of gas

I still think option one is better. If it only lasts 4 months, fine, then I'll use some real paint. I was just seeing if anyone had any really awful experiences with trying this stuff, since paint is supposed to be used as a "system".
                      My first paint job didn't last until the first fill up!!! Gas ate it right off on contact!!

Comment

Working...
                      X