Cheap dual head lights...kinda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap dual head lights...kinda

I had true dual headlights till about an hour ago. I took them off because my bike was only putting out enough power to keep up. I was messing around and left the lights on too long with the bike not running and my bike wouldn't charge. I had it set up 2 lows one on each side and one high in the middle so I drove around with just the high on for a while and it charged up. AND I've done some wiring work on my bike and I'm pretty sure there has never been a dual headlight setup before and there are STILL melted wiring harnesses.

When I got the bike it had the wind jammer on it. I don't like that for in town so I took it off but then I didn't have a head light and I hadn't passed inspection yet. I ran to walmart got 3 of these spotlights (only using two now) 10 bucks a pop. I ran to home depot got a piece of steel I could bend for a bracket. My bike did not have the stock headlight or blinkers if you want to do this take those off. Bend the steel in a U Shape. I made the U long enough so I could put a bolt where the blinker was and where the headlight was so it won't move up and down when I hit bumps. I bent it was two pairs of pliers a vise would be better. The out side dia. of the lights are 5" Measure so they are evenly spaced and mark with a maker. Use a punch or a dremal tool but put a spot on there so your drill bit doesn't walk. Drill your holes and mount them to the bracket then mount the bracket to you bike. I did not cut off the stock headlight harness. I want to be able to put my windjammer back on. I used those crimp things so I have a lead coming out for the ground and the positive. I wired on a two wire trailer harness for each light. I've got the high on the left side hoping it will be more visible in the day time. (I did really like having those dual headlights. When my dad put those on his bike (05 honda aero) he said it was almost a year since some one pulled out in front of him. That may just be him or there may be a reason.)

For the blinkers I took the left over piece of steel cut it to length and twisted it until it was turned the right way.(this takes time I just had to bend and step back and look at it.) I then bolted the blinkers where they were supposed to go so that bolt holds the blinkers and the bracket for the headlights. I used the blinkers from my windjammer and they should be able to go back on as they are they'll just been down and out further. I'll be putting a two wire trailer harness on those as well so everything will be as quick connect as possible if I want to change from cruising to touring. Here in the next few days I'm going to get a small piece of sheet metal and make a cover for the top and bottom cause now I have all these wires hanging out all over. Looks like a rats nest.

When I get to the cosmetic stage of this bike I'll probly be doing a black out type theme. Might be adding so side marker leds and such to compensate for the blackness. But if you want lights to match your bike the light cases are plastic so you could get that krylon paint that's made for plastic and paint to match.

I don't know what you guys think it looks like. I kinda like it. I hope I like it even better when I get that cover on there. And really when I am done repairing and can started cleaning up the bike. I think it looks like trash right now all dirty, oily, paint chipped, a seat with electrical tape because of a massive crack. But I gotta start somewhere I guess. Hope this opens up another option for those looking for dual headlights it's not true dual, but the newer bikes I've been seeing have two headlights and ones a low and ones a high. There are some hid bulbs that will fit in these.

Did it pass inspection with those on it? Some states wouldnt cos i wouldnt think they are DOT approved lighting for the application.

Comment

i kinda like it but sounds like you have the same problem i did when i did that same mod to my old 1990 suzuki lt250s 4 wheeler, the bike just didnt put out enough power to power both of the lights

Comment

Well at the time of inspection I had two lows on the out side and one high in the middle. all I did was take one off and center them so yes those lights did pass. The place I took it to get it inspected this time around I think may have been a little shady. It took all of a min and a half. Although this is my first bike so I don't know what all they're supposed do. Once you said that I went out and looked and there's no dot markings on the glass. Although I know a few cops and they have told me just because you can buy it in a store doesn't mean it's dot approved or legal even if where to say "Motorcycle Headlight" on the box. I'm not trying to get someone to do something illegal it may be come next inspection time I'm going to be looking for a new headlight. I think the real factor is the brightness of the headlight bright enough to see but not blinding the other driver. And the adjustment making sure the lows are low enough and the highs aren't too high. I guess before you do put any head light on check and see if it'll pass first. And I can see some states going "NOPE! doesn't say dot on the glass. Won't pass."

Comment

well if those lights are the same ones i have (i got 8 of them on my 88 bronco II) and from what i understand they are for offroad use only, i dont see why aslong as you dont go over the watts yer state allows but i guess if a cop wanted to be a dick he could write ya for it. now if we could find some DOT approved lights liek that this would be a killer mod

Comment

Dual headlights and lots of other cool stuff, too:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X