Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Turn Signal Lenses, round

Hi,

I'm looking into upgraded LED lighting for my bike. So that I can use the existing turn signals for running lights and blinkers, I will need to install red lenses on the rear. Do you folks know if I can get red replacement lenses for my bike? 1980 GS850GT - It's got the round lenses.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

These look promising

I found these at Dennis Kirk:

Now I've got to do a little more research to see about the diameter and screw hole spacing. These are the Kuryakyn replacement lenses, mostly for Yamaha it seems. I'll have to try and find the Kuryakyn website for measurements.

BassCliff

Comment

I've found http://www.kuryakyn.com and the pdf installation guide for this lens kit:

But it still doesn't give me the dimensions.

The application page says it fits a Kaw Vulcan Mean Streak '02-'08. I have a friend with one of those. Perhaps I'll pay him a visit, or give him a call.

BassCliff

Comment

I've thought about this... But how would you wire it?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          I've thought about this... But how would you wire it?
          Hi Mr. doctorgonzo,

I'm hoping to replace the sockets in the turn signal stalks, to keep the stock look. Somewhere among my bookmarks is a procedure to replace the stock sockets with 1157-type sockets. Or you could just replace the entire assemblies with three-wire units (my stock blinkers are two-wire). Wire the blinking filament to the existing connections and wire the running light filament to a switched "always on" source, like the tail light. There is a hot wire in the head light bucket for the front assemblies. Using an aftermarket electronic flasher and high intensity LEDs will not stress the charging system. I'll see if I can find that link on one of my other computers.

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM.

Comment

1157 turn signal mod

Found it! I hope to adapt this idea. See what you think.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Using an aftermarket electronic flasher and high intensity LEDs will not stress the charging system.
              just be sure to keep your old guts, unless you get a good quality multidirectional bulb, led's when seen from the proper viewing angle are brighter than incandecient bulbs, however, they do not have the ambient light that a incandecient puts out, and that can cause issues with being able to be seen from other angles than directly behind you.

Comment

But the lens will help to refract the light in many directions. I think it should work just fine and I'm stoked to see how it turns out.

Comment

Another possibility is placing a ring of red, high-intensity LEDs around the current incandescent turn signal bulb. The red LEDs will show through the yellow lens quite nicely, and the turn signal bulb will overpower them when it turns ON. An alternate wiring scheme would ground the LEDs through the turn signal wire, that way they will turn OFF when the signal comes ON.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Another possibility is placing a ring of red, high-intensity LEDs around the current incandescent turn signal bulb. The red LEDs will show through the yellow lens quite nicely, and the turn signal bulb will overpower them when it turns ON. An alternate wiring scheme would ground the LEDs through the turn signal wire, that way they will turn OFF when the signal comes ON.

and your lights will look sort of like a tequila sunrise

Comment

Steve,

I don't believe grounding the running lights to the brake lights negative will cause the running lights to go out. It is still making a connection between positive and negative. You would have to throw a normally closed relay in the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                        Steve,

I don't believe grounding the running lights to the brake lights negative will cause the running lights to go out. It is still making a connection between positive and negative. You would have to throw a normally closed relay in the circuit.
                        No,
                        Steve is right.

You "ground" them to the POSITIVE on the bulb.

When the bulb is off, that point is floating, and the other end of the bulb is at ground. Because the resistance of the bulb is MUCH lower than the LEDs, it pulls the + end of the bulb to very near ground. So the LEDS go to ground through the filament of the bulb and turn on. (And light the bulb incredibly dimly too ... maybe a rattlesnake with infrared vision could see it)

When you activate the brake, the Positive of the bulb is connected to the battery via the brake switch. So the bulb turns on. but now both ends of the LED are connected to 12 volts, so it doesn't have any voltage across it, and it is turned off.

All that said, I would not go to any "trouble" to connect it that way.
                        If its just as convienient, sure go ahead. If its harder dont bother.
                        Cause the bulb will easily swamp the LEDS when it turns on either way.

Comment

Got it, makes sense. Thanks for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I really really like this idea !!!

One of the issues I have with the red lenses for running lights is that yellow turn signals are more recognisable than red.
                            As beat to death in this thread

This idea gives you red running lights and yellow turn signals, and keeps the stock hardware.

SWEET !!!

Comment

just buy the solution

BassCliff-

I am blocked from google right now at work, but if you search for "integrated LED lights" or similar, there is a manufacturer that makes a ready to install 3-wire setup with both amber and red loghts, set up to be a running light/turn signal, with multiple LED's for visibility in each color. They are round, and come in 3" and 5" sizes (from memory) and are about 35 bones a pair. When I get home, if I find it, I will post it.

afast

Comment

Working...
                              X