1980 gs450L handlebars and grab/sissly bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs450L handlebars and grab/sissly bar

anyone got any picas of different handlebars for this bike? the stock ones are murder on my wrists, would liek to get them a little more forward and get my elbos almost striaght.

i went on a overnight trip as few weeks back and got hit by rain with no change of cloths due to no space to carry anything but a tent and sleeping bag. so anyone know of a sissy bar that will fit this bike or some pics of some home fabbed ones so i could get some ideas, i have fab skills (atleast i think so) so it wont be a big issue to make one up

heres an idea of what im lookin at, you can see how i carry stuff and its very limited

2 days ago, I put some daytona/euro (not really sure which) bars on my 550L. A local mechanic just tossed them to me the other day . So far I really like them. Definitely an improvement if you're riding highway speeds with no windscreen. I'll try to post a pic for ya.

Comment

Here's my setup. I wouldn't mind having some less "ape-hanger-y" handlebars, but they're actually pretty comfortable, and the L is never going to be a cafe racer. If anything, I'd like to have a bigger tank on it, and maybe some hard bags for more storage.

The rack is a godsend though, and the wife digs the sissy bar, and it's easy to tie things to. I like the windshield for longer rides as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Z View Post
        Here's my setup. I wouldn't mind having some less "ape-hanger-y" handlebars, but they're actually pretty comfortable, and the L is never going to be a cafe racer. If anything, I'd like to have a bigger tank on it, and maybe some hard bags for more storage.

The rack is a godsend though, and the wife digs the sissy bar, and it's easy to tie things to. I like the windshield for longer rides as well.

i like that sissy bar, now to find a pic of some bars id like, i was thinkin some dog bones with some drag bars.... i seen this on hurr befor and like it

id like to see some pics of it from more angles tho, maybe even with a rider on it that 6'1"

Comment

pics of the dog bones, or of my sissy bar? I can get you the latter.

Comment

pics of the dog bones, or of my sissy bar? I can get you the latter.

any chance you can get me a pic of how that sissy bar is mounted? and i also wanna see those dog bones with a rider on the bike thats about 6'1" so i can get an isea of how it might be

Comment

Not to hi-jack, but are those the original forks, Erich?

Comment

As far as I know, they are. They look like it too. Why?

Comment

As far as I know, they are. They look like it too. Why?
                  Most of the "L" models I've seen have a different mounting configuration. However, I just checked the Gallery and noticed all the 450L's had the same forks as you, so it must have been something they did differently between the 450L and 550L.

Here's what I was thinking when I saw your pic. Look at how the forks are mounted to the wheel.

Comment

While we're on the subject of forks, anybody have any tips on pressurizing the air in the forks? I can't seem to use just a regular bike pump...

Comment

i know a bike pump wont work, you need one that wont let the air back out, i forget what its called but my cousin has to use one for his yamaha 850 midnight special.

Comment

Here are a few pics of a rack I built for my 450L back several years ago in about 25 min. It isn't professional by any means but it will hold over 150lbs and has been on the bike since I built in in Feb '05. I went camping with the bike and I used it to haul my tent, bag, and what ever else. It has even carried a pair of 50lbs feed bags. You asked for pics of homemade so here you go.

The first is my bike before I put it on and the second is obviously with it.

Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

thats sorta the idea i had, but using round tube. thanks for the pic

Comment

I've seen those on a few ebay motorcycle "stores" that sell new, used and aftermarket parts for bikes.

Comment

Working...
                            X