Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody done gold leafing on bikes/cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody done gold leafing on bikes/cars?

Hey,

So I don't like the look of my bike. Bad paint job from the PO. So I was thinking about doing some leaf on it. Not gold leaf, but copper leaf. I want to apply it and then swirl it. This technique can be seen on a lot of gold leafing in the auto industry (think fire engine numbers). I was wondering if anyone has done this and has any pointers. I have done gilding before for theatrical props, so I am confident in that.

What I have found is something called a "spin-it" that goes into a drill and spins the leaf after it is applied. I know this can be done by hand as well, but would probably go with the drill option. What I don't know is if there are any special considerations with applying the leaf before I do that. Do I do it immediately or after the size has set?

Anyway, any help or pointing to help would be appreciated.

I believe the technique I described is called "engine turning".

Comment

find the chopper guys

Have you looked on the chopper sites? Gold leafing never goes out fo style on the custom V-Twins...

Comment

I've found a few things. Enough to experiment on some scrap sheet metal to find what I like.

Comment

From what I remember from 25 years ago, engine turning is an easily accomplished feat by hand. Potential disaster by drill, unless you have enough practice at it to do it right. Keep the drill slow, apply light pressure, and be sure you have a way to control the placement of the knob on the end of the drill. The best pointers for engine turning by hand are these: when doing a length along a line, be sure to place the knob at the same place equidistant from each swirl before it, and i n line almost as if guided by a ruler. The best fire trucks, hot rods, etc., almost look as if a machine did it. Count the number of turns each time you make a swirl and keep it uniform. That word is the whole key for a good turning job: uniformity.

Comment

Yes, that is true. I am actually contemplating the pattern I want to do with the odd shape of the tank. Start in the middle and work out? Start around the perimeter and work it? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X