Polished my master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polished my master cylinder

I got tired of it looking like crap. I had painted with caliper paint twice and both times is wilted the first time a bit of brake fluid hit it. So I polished it!

Its not perfect because theres some serious bumps and grooves in certain places that took a long time to polish down, but I think it looks pretty nice.

For anyone whos interested, i used a spiral wheel on a bench grinder. I used brown compound only because I was too lazy to change the wheel at the end in order to use white. I don't really think it needed the white though.

This was a PITA because of the cup style MC. It would be much easier with the square box style MCs.

Took me 90 minutes to polish, an hour to remove the paint with aircraft remover.

looks awesome man, what about the clutch lever?

Comment

I was debating what to do about the levers.... I could polish them or shoot them black to offset.... Hrmmmm...

Comment

Someone's got too much free time before they start school. Looks great by the way.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Haha. Thanks Ed. I took it all apart to check the bore as we discussed. Looks ok to me. Few minor spots here and rthere but nothing that will cause a problem I think.

Comment

Aww, crap! Something more to polish! I thought they were made of some kind of metal.

That looks great!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              I thought they were made of some kind of metal.
              Yes, aluminum

Don't tell Beth you found out about this from me. I dont want to be on her bad side because you start polishing more things

It looks great in the pic, passable in real life. With more time I could have really done it well, but I think this is a solid job.

Comment

i did mine, front and rear, last week. calipers too. looks sweet.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Ohhh post pics!!!

Comment

Ive decided to shoot the levers black for contrast. That mean's I'll probably end up polishing the clutch lever / left mirror mount. But not anytime soon. =D

Comment

Or you can buy black levers....
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The black levers over here are coated with something pretty damn tough - paint stripper only just touches it and it's loads of sanding down before even starting to polish.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Shot about 3 or 4 coats of PJ1 engine case black on mine. No prior treatment. Holding up well so far with 2500 miles.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah I used caliper paint on mine, and it all started chipping off. I'm going to use some krylon gloss black enamel on them this time. I'd buy new levers (because originally these stock levers WERE black but they must have faded over time) but why spend the money?

Comment

Working...
                            X