No announcement yet.

Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the strut mounting any different from the shocks that were mounted there previously? Just wondering, I don't see the issue with the hardtail mounted the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
      Very nice work - but - those bolts in the shaft will strip out when you hit the first big bump. You've got all that force (entire weight of rear of bike + your butt) on two small bolts screwed into aluminium.
      While it won't be the entire weight of the bike, he does raise an interesting point. What's on the bracing look like on the other side?

And yes, it is very clean. First custom shaftie I've looked at for more than a glance.

Comment

Haven't posted for awhile.....

Here's the '05 June BOM as it looks today

Comment

Originally posted by doubleblue View Post
          Here's the '05 June BOM as it looks today
          That SOB is still a Beauty.

Comment

First shot at a larger picture

Comment

shaft rigid

The problem with hardtailing like that is those bolts take all the shcok and the weight. When use for shock mounts the shock absorbers take the beating. Hence the name shock absorber. I think i would be a little concerned. Just my not so humble opinion. here is a shaft bike a friend is building. he had the same concerns and decided on this instead

Comment

shaft rigid

the pic i posted is couple of years old. The bike i posted is still being built. But i showed the shaft rigid being to my friend who is a good fabricator and welder. he said was you should go from the top of the driveshaft tube and the top of your swing arm with vertical supports to the tubes going to the wheel to relieve any shock off those bolts and possibly a major failure. Just a suggestion. He reminded me of one we saw at a show in K.C that was done with the vertical supports. Owner said he had put over 20,000 miles with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleblue View Post
                  Always nice to see your bike Paul!

Comment

bue gs

that bike of doubleblue's is VERY NICE

Comment

Heres my 81 GS650-G, all done with the exception of the pinstripes.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                        How is the strut mounting any different from the shocks that were mounted there previously? Just wondering, I don't see the issue with the hardtail mounted the way it is.
                        It's a HUGE difference!!

Shock absorbers - it's not just a name, it's what they do. All of the energy that they 'absorbed' before is now going into those tiny bolts. I don't know of too many hardtails that are mounted into soft aluminium. I've seen solid steel hardtails crack and fall apart, how long is a single bolt in aluminium going to last??

It would be like swapping the seatbelts in your car with string and saying "what's the difference?"

(disclaimer: this post written in a sarcastic manner, not intended to offend)

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                          While it won't be the entire weight of the bike, he does raise an interesting point. What's on the bracing look like on the other side?.............
                          I never said entire weight of bike. I said entire weight of rear of bike. As in - the back half. Obviously a lot of weight is taken on the front wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bribird View Post

How did you get the carbs back into the airbox without scratching anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                              I never said entire weight of bike. I said entire weight of rear of bike. As in - the back half. Obviously a lot of weight is taken on the front wheel.
                              Well, it won't take the entire weight of the back half either, assuming of course, there is some support on the other side.

Basically, I agree with you that that bolt is going to be stressed to a greater degree than it would be using shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bribird View Post

Very, very well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X