Engine Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Paint

Doing a complete tear down on a GS 1100, Any suggestions on painting the engine?

Do a forum search...

I've used PJ1 on case covers. Renobruce has used Duplicolor & bake I think... Posplayr has used POR15, Can't remember off hand what KrisV used.

Plenty of info out there.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Doing a complete tear down on a GS 1100, Any suggestions on painting the engine?
      Are you keeping it silver? If it's not in too bad of shape, you can just scrub it down and polish up the side covers. They can be pretty nasty and still come out new looking if you work at it. If you need to paint, whatever you use, the prep is the most important part of the process if you want a lasting result.

If I had to do mine over, I'd probably go with the POR-15 stuff. Great reviews on it. I used Duplicolor with ceramic. No miles on mine yet.... time will tell if it holds up.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Engine Paint

Yes, I would like to keep it the same silver color, overall it is in pretty good condition, however there are a few areas where it's somewhat discolored or slightly chipping. I assume if I paint it I will need to use an HVLP sprayer?

Joe

Comment

Not necessarily... you could get away with rattle can.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I really like the Duplicolor Caliper paint. Comes in a rattle can. Just remember to bake the cases after the paint dries as per the can instructions. Practically indestructible. Resists gas & oil well, comes in quite a few colors.

Paul
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
            X